Job ID: GEM20163008-36434
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Machinist to in our Promontory, Utah machine shop.
Role description & Responsibilities:
Operates various conventional and/or numerically controlled machining centers on semi-complex jobs. Works from blueprints, sketches, planning sheets, verbal instructions, and/or engineering, tooling, or equipment information. Contributes to lean initiatives to increase productivity and reduce costs. Works with limited guidance, in a team environment.
• Sets up and runs multiple production machines. Performs machine operations (including reworking parts) such as cutting, shaping, deburring, forming, drilling, and reaming parts
• Performs machine operations where the materials, tooling, and sequence of operations have been pre-planned and established
• Makes necessary machine adjustments and reports improper machine functioning or cutting action for correction
• Aligns and fastens work using standard fixtures and established methods
• Installs and adjusts cutting tools consistent with type and size of material being machined
• Follows established manufacturing methods using standard production machines, materials, and tooling
• Adjusts feeds, speeds, and depth of cut to machine quality parts, per documentation
• Operates hand and power tools to deburr precision and complex machine parts in accordance with semi-complicated engineering blueprints and route sheets to close tolerances
• Inspects parts for conformance to specifications using measuring instruments such as gages, calipers, micrometers and comparators. Uses various types of magnification equipment (including a microscope) to detect and avoid damage to surfaces and critical areas. Visually inspects parts for burrs or damaged machined surfaces
• Routinely maintains equipment to ensure cleanliness, accuracy, and reliability specific to division requirements
• Accurately and regularly performs statistical process control (SPC) specific to division requirements
• Actively implements lean initiatives by identifying and providing suggestions on areas for improvement. Effectively applies lean concepts and tools in work area
• Observes all company policies and procedures, including safety rules, and maintains a clean and orderly work area
• Performs other related responsibilities, as requested
• High School or equivalent, Trade School Certification a plus
• Five years related machining experience. Able to work with limited guidance in a team environment.
• Able to make machine set ups.
• Reads and follows blueprints, specifications, and verbal instructions.
• Has working knowledge of machine shop mathematics, may include trigonometry.
• Able to effectively apply lean initiatives
• Demonstrates effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as the ability to work in a team environment
• Interprets reports and uses job specific software applications. Ability to use employee self-service systems to access on-line information and use specialized automated systems
• Effectively demonstrates team member competencies and participates in goal setting, performance feedback, and self-development activities and understands that personal effort and attitude play a significant part in the success of the business
Postion can be filled at a lower level
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.