Job Requisition ID: 16341
Day in the Life
HMH is looking for a Senior UX Designer who is passionate about the interaction and experience design process and wants to develop professionally by contributing to the next generation of educational software. Our premiere K-12 supplemental and intervention products and solutions enrich learning experiences for millions of students and teachers around the world. In this role you will facilitate and execute UX and product design, with a strong emphasis on the end-user experience. You will work on a variety of products that will be integrated with a larger education platform while still maintaining integrity as stand-alone products. This means understanding and designing for multiple user roles: teachers, students and administrators.
In this role, you will collaborate in the ideation, direction and creation of UX design deliverables with other creative and passionate team members, including Learning Architects, Product Owners, UI Designers, Learning Scientists, etc. You will incorporate business needs and creative direction into design solutions. You will use your unique skillset and cutting-edge tools to produce high-quality and on deadline deliverables in every phase of the UX design lifecycle (including requirements-gathering, user advocacy, user research, persona creation, journey maps, user flows, site maps, interaction design with low and high-fidelity wireframes, mental models ideation, prototyping for usability testing and everything in-between) with an iterative, user- focused approach.
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor's Degree in design or a design-related discipline (graphic design, user experience design, visual design, HCI, etc.) or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in UX & UI design in a team environment
- Strong visual design
- Experience with Sketch or Figma
- Experience with prototyping tools Invision, Principle, Axure, etc.)
- Ability to accept direction and critique as a natural part of improving your work and skillset, and provide useful design feedback to peers
- Ability to clearly articulate design decisions in peer review and product demonstrations; strong presentation skills
- Familiar with qualitative and/or quantitative research
- Design system creation and management experience
Nice to Have
- Educational software design K-12 education
- Experience working in agile product teams, leading design sprints or workshops, and design thinking methods
- Working knowledge of HTML, CSS
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing) for 4+ hours.
- The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
- Must be able to travel up to 10% of the time.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children’s books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.