Job ID: JMB20170901-37852
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Senior Manufacturing Engineer to provide manufacturing and process engineering technical expertise and project management for our Ammunition & Precision Weapon production programs in our Plymouth, MN offices. This position is focused on manufacturing of propellant, energetics, and energetic components and assemblies.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Role description & Responsibilities:
• This position reports to the Engineering Manager, Mechanical Production Engineering and is responsible for providing manufacturing engineering oversight and support on large caliber ammunition programs, as well as other programs in Orbital ATK’s Ammunition and Precision Weapons program teams.
• Development and oversight of production processes for products under development and support production at Plymouth, other Orbital ATK locations and subcontractors, focusing on propellant, energetics, and energetic components.
• Provide manufacturing engineering project management and leadership.
• Support and/or lead failure investigations, root cause determination, and corrective action implementation.
• Engineering oversight and interpretation of acceptance and qualification testing results of energetic materials and components.
• Contribute to completion of specific program and project milestones.
• Represent Orbital ATK to our customers and suppliers.
• Travel (approximately 25%-40%) domestically and internationally to customers and suppliers, representing Orbital ATK’s program and business interests. Travel to suppliers is primarily to facilities with propellant and energetics development and production lines.
• Conceptualize and implement continuous improvement projects internally and with suppliers.
• Communicate project status and issues to management and customers.
• Implement and manage strong manufacturing engineering principals to ensure robust production process and high product quality. Examples are SPC, P-FMEA, Mistake Proofing, gage R&R, Production Readiness Reviews, equipment and gage qualifications, and First Article Inspections.
• B.S. in Engineering required.
• Minimum 4 years (or 2 years with an M.S. or MBA) production engineering experience in both product development and production environments.
• Experience working with customer engineering, vendors and subcontractors.
• Failure Analysis and root cause determination.
• Ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
• Must be U.S. Citizen.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance.
• Experience with energetic materials, including propellants and explosives, is highly desirable.
• Experience with cost and schedule.
• Prior experience in project management
• Prior experience working in the defense industry and/or with U.S. Government contracts.
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.