Requisition ID: 225380
The Gabon Infrastructure Project is a program management services project. Bechtel is responsible to assist the Gabonese government with the establishment and implementation of a specialized agency to manage the country’s $25B capital improvement program and Master Plan. Bechtel employees are seconded into and work for the Gabonese government agency. Bechtel’s mandate includes: provide technical expertise to develop the structure and governance of the agency as well as establishment and implementation of procedures that comply with international standards. Capacity building of the national employees is a primary focus. The program includes projects that cover all facets of infrastructure development such as: roads, bridges, water projects, housing, schools, power distribution, etc.
The Project Field Engineer reports to the Operations / Construction Manager and is a member of the constructability team during the early design phase of the Project. The Project Field Engineer is responsible for document control and allocation of subject matter experts (SME) to the various works sites. Lead the team of Construction engineers to monitor and manage the construction work of all major infrastructure projects including motorways within the territories of the Republic of Gabon.
A. Supervision Received
- Reports to and receives direction and functional guidance from the Project Operations / Construction Manager (a Bechtel employee seconded to the agency).
- May also receive direction from the Director General / Project Manager (a Bechtel employee seconded to the agency).
B. Supervision Exercised
- Provides operational supervision of Project Responsible Lead Field Engineers and construction personnel (both National and Bechtel)
- Develops and maintains relationships with agency personnel in all departments and levels of the organization.
- Develops and maintains relationships with Contractors.
- Interacts with Client & Ministry personnel as-required.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Ensure implementation of the Project ES&H Program
- Ensuring that all Contractor approved construction procedures is strictly adhered to and deviations are addressed in accordance to the project specification and standards.
- The Project Field Engineer will develop, monitor and implement the project constructability process and ensure robust constructability review sessions are performed during early engineering and detailed engineering design phase.
- Review and approve Contractor’s deliverables and ensure adherence to their construction execution plans with respect to planning, scheduling, resource allocation, assignment, and deployment of construction resources, progress measurement, and reporting.
- Monitor and inform management on a weekly basis of the progress of the works at sites as necessary to assist the Client in determining the Contractors capabilities to meet current and future Project schedule milestones.
- Review all Contractors’ documentation to validate systems and subsystem definition consistent with Project systems objectives and plans.
- Confirm that Contractors provide all QC inspection and/or testing reports and other related documentation in accordance with Contract QA/QC requirements.
- The Project Field Engineer will be part of the team to review the Contractors design of Temporary Construction Facilities as required.
- Monitor and manage the preparation of cost estimates for construction activities and coordinates the preparation of cost reports, forecast and progress reports. Reviews and provides input to project controls documents on progress relating to cost and schedule.
- Ensures the implementation of Contractors approved Project Construction procedures. Coordinates any deviations from the procedures.
- Monitor Contractors activities to ensure materials; equipment and quality comply with design plans and specifications.
- Performs employee reviews for subordinate personnel and assists in their development. Ensures that subordinate personnel receive progressive training.
- Participate in all construction and senior management project meetings as required.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports and ensure RFEs prepare daily reports
- Prepare required deliverable and attend meetings with Government entities of the Republic of Gabon
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited college/university and 15 years’ experience with 10 years Bechtel experience including extensive work experience in leadership roles in the construction industry and/or large-scale infrastructure projects.
- Extensive and demonstrated experience in leading and managing all aspects of ES&H on a major infrastructure project.
- Extensive and demonstrated experience construction safety, occupational health, behavioral safety and accident investigation.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and/or providing technical oversight of ES&H requirements for contractors/subcontractors or consultants during construction.
- Experience of national and international ES&H laws/regulations and regulatory/resource agencies permitting processes and responsibilities, industry standards for ES&H compliance, and best management practices for minimizing potential ES&H impacts during project execution.
- Experience in managing a multi-national workforce.
- Extensive knowledge of engineering and construction systems, methods and work processes.
- Broad knowledge of construction planning, estimating, procedures, and execution.
- Knowledge of Bechtel’s organizational structure, functions, and administrative procedures.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office
- Demonstrated ability to handle international work in hardship locations preferred. Preferred experience in working in multinational project teams with varying technical and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, ability to communicate complex issues to high level political officials.
- The successful candidate should be a self-starter with strong problem-solving skills being able to work in a non-standard Bechtel environment.
- Fluency in French and English language capability is desirable.
- Must be able to work overtime and adapt to changing work schedules.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.