Job ID: GEM20171101-37889
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission whether its a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the worlds leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nations largest manufacturer of ammunition.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Machinist to work in our Promontory, Utah machine shop.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The main responsibility is in Energetic material machining, to include dissection, fabrication, and modification of energetic articles. Must be able to hand write and read CNC G-codes. Operates various conventional and/or numerically controlled machining centers, lathes ,and PLC controllers on semi-complex jobs. Able to work from blueprints, sketches, planning sheets, verbal instructions, and/or engineering, tooling, or equipment information. Contributes to lean initiatives to increase productivity and reduce costs. Works with limited guidance, in a team environment.
• Perform machine operations (including reworking parts) such as cutting, shaping, deburring, forming, drilling, and reaming parts
• Installs and adjusts cutting tools consistent with type and size of material being machined
• Follows established manufacturing methods using standard machines tools, materials, and tooling
• Adjusts feeds, speeds, and depth of cut to machine quality parts
• Operates hand and power tools to deburr precision and complex machine parts in accordance with semi-complicated engineering blueprints
• Inspects parts for conformance to specifications using measuring instruments such as gages, calipers, micrometers and comparators. Visually inspects parts for burrs or damaged machined surfaces
• Routinely maintains equipment to ensure cleanliness, accuracy, and reliability
• Actively implements lean initiatives by identifying and providing suggestions on areas for improvement. Effectively applies lean concepts and tools in work area
• Observes all company policies and procedures, including safety rules, and maintains a clean and orderly work area
• Performs other related responsibilities, as requested
• High School or equivalent plus Trade School Certification
• Two Years related machining experience. Able to work with limited guidance in a team environment
• Able to make machine set ups
• Read and understand GD&T blue print specs
• Reads and follows blueprints, specifications, and verbal instructions
• Has working knowledge of machine shop mathematics, may include trigonometry
• Demonstrates effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as the ability to work in a team environment
• Effectively demonstrates team member competencies and participates in goal setting, performance feedback, and self-development activities and understands that personal effort and attitude play a significant part in the success of the business
Position can be filled at a lower level depending on experience and education
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products and your ideas into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, youll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D