Job ID: ATP20173001-38152
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission whether its a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the worlds leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nations largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK is seeking an International Engineering Manager for our Plymouth, MN location.
Headquartered in Plymouth, Minnesota, Orbital ATK Armament Systems is a leading innovator and producer of advanced weapons that provide the warfighter superior battlefield capabilities. The division specializes in creating low-cost, highly reliable and precise munitions for artillery and mortar systems and is a world leader in developing and producing tactical and training ammunition for medium and large caliber weapon platforms. Armament Systems also creates systems that protect soldiers on the battlefield and reduce collateral damage.
The division is a leading supplier of integrated medium-caliber weapon systems for land, air and sea platforms through its world renowned Bushmaster® line of automatic cannons produced at its Mesa, Arizona facility.
Through its management of America’s largest, privately owned proving grounds, Armament Systems allows ATK and its customers the ability to rapidly test weapons and demilitarize them when necessary.
This position is responsible for managing the Medium Caliber Ammunition (MCA) Production Engineering organization, specific to international business (approximately 50% travel), in the following areas:
• Working with the Production Engineering Director to forecast staffing requirements
• Maintaining required staffing levels in the group
• Coordinating and issuing work assignments and managing staff development including bi-annual reviews.
• Providing leadership to ensure Customer’s technical, schedule and budget requirements are being met.
• Manage department budgets to ensure the highest level of efficiency is achieved.
• Supporting Continuous Improvement and Lean Initiatives in the MCA production areas using PES.
• Ensuring effective coordination and communication between MCA Production Engineering and the Director of Production as well as other engineering organizations supporting MCA programs.
• Supporting proposal activity by ensuring the most cost efficient processes are being proposed to meet the customers’ requirements while ensuring the Labor and Material estimates are adequate.
• Requires BS in Engineering and 15 years, or Masters in Engineering and 10 years, or PhD in Engineering and 7 years.
• Proven planning and organizational skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication and presentation Skills.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain Secret Clearance
• Prior Engineering Management or Supervisory experience
• Related production experience with automated production equipment.
• Experience working in a multicultural environment.
• International work and travel experience.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Ensure that all development activities utilize the best approaches from advanced product quality planning (APQP), system engineering (SE), program management (PMBOK), and lean design (DFSS) to ensure an efficient, high performance, rigorous development culture while considering the input of all internal and external customers. Utilize their emotional intelligence to lead, coach, and direct other engineers and technicians to accomplish project deliverables and strategic objectives, drive timely decision making, and develop a highly talented team. They may also serve as the technical specialist in their area of functional responsibility. Serve as a role model supporting the division’s mission and values.
1. Provides guidance, direction, and performance feedback to a small group of technicians and engineers on difficult challenges resulting in high impact to the business.
2. Assess the engineering value stream in their area of responsibility with input from key stakeholders. Initiate continuous improvement activities to create high quality and efficient processes. Improve planning, execution, and tracking methods to increase engineering process excellence. Increase the understanding and use of strategy deployment, kaizen, problem solving, and lessons learned.
3. Coach, support, and motivate to ensure a high performing engineering team.
4. Ensure hiring plans and staff development are aligned to overall capability and capacity strategy. Manage team budgets, schedules and resources to effectively meet business goals.
5. Support technology growth in innovation identification, roadmap development, and proposal preparation.
6. Set and promote high standards for quality and safety. Maintains selected Orbital ATK engineering processes and drives technical excellence by ensuring team output meets technical standards.
7. Maintains knowledge of engineering best practices and technology innovations by attending industry events and educational activities.
8. Represent and communicate Orbital ATK technical capabilities and technologies to internal and external customers. Present deliverables at program technical reviews, proposal reviews, or other technical meetings.
9. Lead performance and compensation management activities for team members.
10. Prepare, review, and approve cost estimates and written technical proposals. Manage cost and schedule for independent research or process improvement projects assigned to your team.
Minimum of 2 years of experience in leading cross-functional project teams or engineering teams
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products and your ideas into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, youll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D