Job ID: MH20161412-37643
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Senior Liquid Propulsion Engineer to join our Liquid Propulsion team in Chandler, AZ or Dulles, VA office.
This opening is for an experienced Propulsion Engineer with a detailed technical understanding of Liquid Propulsion Engines. Job will require the engineer to develop a good working relationship with Liquid Engine Supplier engineers to collaborate and be integrated in the ongoing activities of design, development and integration of liquid engines.
The engineer will be expected to learn and be the expert on the entire engine system, in addition to whatever engine related issues are being worked, and will be expected to pull in and manage the appropriate support on detailed areas where additional support may be required.
Role Description & Responsibilities:
Job will require the engineer to develop a good working relationship with Liquid Engine Supplier engineers to collaborate and be integrated in the ongoing activities of design, development and integration of liquid engines. The engineer will be expected to learn and be the expert on the entire engine system, in addition to whatever engine related issues are being worked, and will be expected to pull in and manage the appropriate support on detailed areas where additional support is needed, such as materials or welding expertise. Engineer is expected to generate sound technical solutions for issues and then properly implement those solutions as required. The engineer will report status through the NGL Upper Stage PEM and Chief Engineer to keep the program well informed of current status and issues being worked. Engineer will also work closely with the NGL Vehicle PEM and team to work integration and detailed engine integration activities with the rest of the overall vehicle activities.
• Candidate must have a minimum of 5 years experience working with liquid propulsion systems.
• Candidate must have a minimum of 3 or more years of liquid rocket engine acceptance test and flight data review experience.
• Hold a valid US Passport.
• Ability to Travel: Travel expectations of a minimum of 25% of time.
• Candidate must have ability to work with a diverse group of people including technicians, engineers, and management.
• Candidate must be fluent in preparing and reviewing technical presentations with a proficient understanding of the technical details of the engine system.
• Candidate must be proficient in Matlab software script generation tool for creating details scripts for engine post acceptance test data processing.
• Candidate must have experience with review of design analysis, manufacturing documentation, test data, hardware qualification and acceptance testing.
• Experience with MS Office Suite of products is required.
Skills & Qualifications:
• Candidate must have great verbal and written communication skills.
• Good communication skills and the ability to work with a diverse set of people including technicians, engineers and management and in a variety of work environments including office work, high bay and cleanroom work around hardware.
• Candidate must be fluent in preparing and reviewing technical presentations.
• Experience with design analyses, manufacturing documentation, hardware qualification / acceptance testing, system-level integration and test.
• Program management skills are a plus. Experience managing / coordinating small technical teams is a plus.
• Familiarity with analysis software is a plus: general (e.g. Matlab), fluid / thermal analysis (e.g. Sinda-Fluent), structural (CAD / FEM), trajectory (e.g. POST), EASY-5, Rocket Engine Transient Simulations (ROCETS).
• Familiarity with requirements and interface management a plus.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Aerospace, Mechanical or related field is required.
• Master of Science degree in Aerospace/Mechanical preferred
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.