Requisition ID: 235154
Requisition Posting End Date: 06/19/2021
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world’s infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy, and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
PROJECT CONTROLS MANAGER
Supervises cost estimating, analysis, and control activities. Supervise schedule development, maintenance, monitoring, impact identification, and recovery plan development activities. Supervise the preparation and presentation of estimates. Supports project organizational and administrative activities. Identifies, analyzes, and provides innovative solutions to cost engineering and planning/scheduling problems. Provides generally non-routine cost engineering/planning and scheduling guidance to projects
The Project Controls Manager will be responsible for providing technical and operational supervision to the Project Controls staff. Preparation of Project Controls Execution Plan, Project Controls Procedures and coordination of the Monthly Progress Report. The PCM will coordinate the base lining of schedules and budgets. Additional duties include supervision of cost and schedule development, maintenance and monitoring activities including necessary reporting and analysis and setup of PC systems. Facilitation of a highly effective and timely change management program is essential as an early warning indicator. Reviews and approves ERD, Proposal Financial Summaries, PFSRs and CoPWC. Provides generally non-routine cost engineering/planning and scheduling guidance to projects. Responsible for the development, execution, and management of all facets of a staffed Project Execution Risk Management (PERM) program. Candidates must be proactive in determining project direction and informing Bechtel and Client management. Other duties as assigned including proposal work for prospective clients.
- Reports to and receives technical guidance and operational supervision from designated supervisory personnel.
- Provides technical and operational direction to assigned personnel. Ensures work is completed as scheduled.
- Maintains relationships with the Project Manager and project personnel, particularly individual discipline group leaders and engineers.
- Continuing contacts with Project Manager, project team members, and working and supervisory level personnel of other departments.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
The following duties are General/Common across disciplines within the Project Controls function:
- Provides comments and recommendations for planning and scheduling/cost engineering requirements relative to staffing and project control. Prepares detailed staffing plans for planning and scheduling/cost engineering activities.
- Reviews or assists in reviewing proposal provisions related to schedule/cost engineering and material control, and develops supporting data for contract negotiations.
- Identifies cost trends and schedule impacts for management attention.
- Interfaces with designated Bechtel management and client counterparts for specific planning and schedule tasks/cost presentations.
- Prepares and presents cost engineering/estimating/planning and scheduling information to management/client.
- Coordinates information input into specific studies. Responsible for integration of activities and total work scope identification. Evaluates study results and recommends conclusions for project team consideration and discussion.
- Participates in developing and presenting training classes on designated subjects and on-the-job training for specific processes and practices.
- Conducts personnel performance reviews when delegated. Interviews candidates and makes recommendations for employment decisions.
- Reviews and analyzes comparisons of scope, quantities, and cost data between the projects.
- Performs productivity analysis of construction operations and verifies results by staffing and crew analysis of work operations by craft.
- Develops bid evaluation and schedule criteria and prepares bid evaluations. May participate in discussions with vendors.
- May review invoices for correct collection of revenue.
- Creates and implements measurement systems for established processes, analyzes performance metric results, and identifies improvements. Ability to use statistical tools to analyze metrics (e.g., regression, analysis of variance, correlation), and ability to analyze measurement systems to identify bias, repeatability, and stability issues.
- Supports development of Project Controls standards and procedures. Supervises and supports the compilation of historical data.
The following duties are performed with respect to Cost Engineering and Estimating:
- Coordinates and establishes scoping requirements for the overall cost estimate by discipline or other specialty, and coordinates the timely, systematic, and complete acquisition of scope definition and related data. Reviews design scope criteria and quantities for completeness and reasonableness, and coordinates with the project to develop additional estimating bases when information is incomplete. Establishes the conceptual scope of estimates and studies when definition is not available.
- Plans, coordinates, and establishes level of quantification appropriate to the objectives of the effort and to the level of scope definition for each discipline or specialty, and designates reference job(s) for source data and/or reconciliations of quantities. Reviews quantities and their completeness and reasonableness.
- Supervises the timely and competent preparation of cost estimates. Establishes format and content of summaries and reconciliations, including segregation of cost according to level of confidence and identification of areas of risk.
- Coordinates pricing structure or criteria to be used by each discipline or specialty to meet the objectives of the cost estimate.
- Assists in developing unit job hour and pricing data for a specific discipline or other specialty, including estimating parameters, factors indices, productivity and craft distribution reference data, etc., based on analysis of Bechtel and industry experience. Performs data analysis, identifies problems, and makes recommendations.
- Establishes productivity basis to be utilized in estimates, as developed in concurrence with Construction. Reviews labor estimates for reasonableness.
- Prepares or reviews distributable and/or contractors’ indirect cost estimates, developing basis for temporary facilities, miscellaneous construction services, construction tools and equipment, non-manual manpower, startup services, payroll taxes and insurance, camp facilities and operation, and other field office costs. Researches and develops or reviews tax estimates, including federal, state, and local tax issues. Assists in developing or develops foreign currency and exchange rate estimates. Prepares or reviews contingency evaluation for estimates, escalation estimates, reconciliations for estimates, and management presentations.
- Plans, organizes, and supervises development of project cost budgets.
- Defines project needs for cost control in accordance with established Bechtel and client contractual requirements, objectives, and procedures. Supervises the timely and competent performance of cost control activities. Reviews and critiques designs and specifications for cost effectiveness and suggests alternatives when appropriate. Prepares cost trend estimates in support of project cost trend programs.
- Supervises cost recording, monitoring, and reporting practices for compliance with applicable standards accuracy and consistency.
- Supervises investigating requirements for estimating and/or cost control data for specific discipline or other specialty applications. Identifies needs for cost analysis support for the project, and recommends development or modification of cost engineering data standards. Supervises performance of cost analysis activities within the project.
The following duties are performed with respect to Scheduling:
- Supervises the collection, verification, and integration of work scope for all entities into the total project plan. Reviews the representation of project scope in schedules.
- Plans and supervises the effort to establish milestones for total project or major portions of the project. Reviews project work activities to ensure support of project milestones.
- Provides supervision and assistance to planners in the development and integration of individual schedules into the total project plan. Reviews the performing organization’s and unit’s work logics and determines adequacy of schedules in support of overall project schedule.
- Supervises/directs, reviews, and evaluates schedule durations for all disciplines’ activities relative to support of project milestones. Supervises/directs calculation of durations and other considerations affecting activity durations.
- Plans, organizes, and supervises schedule resource loading and leveling. Coordinates development of all bulk commodity release and installation curves. Integrates appropriate staffing requirements for each discipline/specialty relative to overall project needs. Determines quantity and staffing levels in support of project needs and schedule philosophy.
- Supervises/directs obtaining required schedule information by all disciplines. Supervises identifying of schedule restraints and effect on total project schedule. Works with all departments to ensure understanding of total project schedule needs. Responsible for total integration of schedule activities. Identifies schedule considerations and problems resulting from interdiscipline or group restraints and interfaces.
- Monitors and reports critical path and schedule performance of the total project. Supervises project schedule analysis and studies of problem areas to determine criticality of schedule activities. Recommends alternatives for schedule improvement to project team for discussion and/or decision.
- Responsible for reviewing the Schedule Impact Report. Responsible for leading the development and review of schedule recovery plans, including evaluation of additional resources/costs required to affect such plans.
The following duties are performed with respect to PERM:
- Provides structured leadership and guidance for the overall execution of PERM activities. Provides project leaders and relevant stakeholders with risk awareness support and guidance as necessary.
- Provides oversight, training, mentoring, and ensures capability of Project Risk Coordinator(s) and Project Risk Specialist(s) in conducting PERM activities towards the attainment of project objectives.
- Develops and maintains project Risk Management Plan (RMP), metrics, and reports. Develops and reviews risk breakdown structures, risk libraries, and risk identification tools and frameworks in support of project needs.
- Provides leadership in terms of integrating the risk management process with other key project procedures (e.g. Change Management, Forecasting, Cost, Trends, and Claims and support corporate, GBU, commercial group, and functional stakeholders in managing enterprise level PERM activities as required.
- Experience in performing, monitoring, and reviewing planning and scheduling functions, including schedule development, control, and analysis, and cost engineering functions, including cost estimating, cost control, financial reporting systems, and cost analysis, in the field and the home office.
- Knowledge of supervision, personnel administration, and training of technical and nontechnical personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, direct, perform, review, and present cost engineering and cost estimating products. This includes planning and scheduling products independently with minimal supervision using a high level of professional judgment and knowledge related to technical planning and scheduling skills and engineering design and construction practices.
- Skilled in oral and written communication.
- Demonstrates an advanced level of understanding of general Project Controls technical skills.
- Advanced level of knowledge of engineering, procurement, contracts, construction, and startup work processes, as performed by Bechtel.
- Knowledge of engineering and construction management customarily acquired over time through specialized instruction or practical experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in delivery, communication, and training of risk processes and procedures.
- Expert capabilities using PERM tools and methods including use of Active Risk Manager (ARM) software, @RISK, and Primavera Risk Analysis (PRA) and/or Acumen Risk and includes risk statement drafting, preparation of treatment plans, and providing written risk analysis and reports for Senior Management levels.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or Business , or 15+ equivalent Project Controls experience.
- Experience with process plants and mining and metals facilities are preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to present data and analysis to PC, other groups, Bechtel Mgmt and Client Mgmt.
- Leadership skills, supervisory skills, and the ability to adapt project controls principles into a multi-company environment is essential.
- A working knowledge of Primavera Project Planner and EcoSys is required.
- Familiarity with Bechtel standards, procedures, organization and automated systems preferred.
- Familiarity with international project execution is preferred.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Applicants with a disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to or call +1-800-749-2372 for assistance. Determinations on request for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Juntos formando el mañana
Bechtel es una de las empresas de ingeniería, construcción y gestión de proyectos más respetadas a nivel mundial. Junto con nuestros clientes, entregamos proyectos emblemáticos que fomentan el progreso y el crecimiento económico a largo plazo. Desde 1898, hemos completado más de 25.000 proyectos extraordinarios en 160 países de los siete continentes. Operamos a través de cuatro unidades de negocios globales: Infraestructura; Nuclear, Seguridad y Medio Ambiente; Energía; y Minería y Metales. Nuestra empresa y nuestra cultura se basan en más de un siglo de liderazgo y una adherencia incesante a nuestros valores, cuyo núcleo son la seguridad, la calidad, la ética y la integridad. Estos valores son lo que creemos, lo que esperamos, lo que entregamos y lo que vivimos.
Bechtel es un empleador que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades. Todos los postulantes calificados serán considerados para su contratación sin distinción de raza, color, religión, sexo, orientación sexual, identidad y expresión de género, edad, nacionalidad, discapacidad, estado de ciudadanía (según lo autorice la ley), estatus militar, información genética y cualquier otra característica protegida por la ley federal, estatal o local.
Postulantes en situación de discapacidad, que requieran de ajustes razonables para cualquier etapa del proceso de reclutamiento y contratación, pueden enviar su solicitud por correo electrónico a para recibir apoyo. Determinaciones referentes a los requerimientos de ajustes razonables serán revisados caso a caso.