Job ID: BDH20172001-38019
With projected annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, approximately 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK Space Systems Group designs, manufactures and operates small and medium-class spacecraft for communications, imaging, scientific, exploration and national security space applications. The Group is leading supplier of space components that power and enable satellites of all classes, provides technical engineering services to government agencies and laboratories, and is developing exciting new satellite servicing and advanced space flight technologies.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Orbital ATK, San Diego is currently seeking a Principal Mechanical Engineer to join our Analysis team.
Highly motivated structural analysis engineer for composite structures and assemblies with the following responsibilities:
• Assess structural integrity of metallic and composite structures using traditional closed form solutions, as well as finite element analysis (FEA)
• Interact with design and development teams (teams include specialists in Design, Quality, Materials, Manufacturing) to create and verify creative design solutions that meet all requirements (technical, cost, schedule)
• Generate Finite Element Models and perform FEA for normal modes, linear static stress, dynamic response/stress, thermo-elastic distortion, and hygroscopic distortion
• Support development of fight hardware from preliminary through detailed design, drawing release, manufacturing, integration, verification testing, and transportation
• Plan and oversee material characterization tests of various materials used in the design of composite structures
• Reduce material characterization test data into analysis input properties and material capability properties
• Prepare and make presentations summarizing structural assessment results for internal review boards and external customer design reviews
• Assist in assessment and disposition of discrepant hardware and hardware anomalies
• BS degree or higher in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
• 7 Years experience in analysis engineering function with BS degree or 5 years experience with Masters degree
• Proficiency in structural analysis of aerospace structures containing metals, sandwich panels, composite materials, plastics and bonded joints
• Proficiency in finite element analysis, composite laminate theory, and dynamics
• Proficiency in Femap and NX Nastran
• Knowledge of composite materials manufacturing processes
• Oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work in a fast paced dynamic environment as part of a multi-discipline team
• Must be a US citizen and have the ability to work on ITAR controlled products
• MS in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering
• Proficiency in Altair Hyperworks, NX, Matlab, and Visual Basic
• Knowledge of composite materials application for extreme environments
• Constitutive model development and implementation
• Previous experience in aerospace manufacturing facility
• Ability to receive a security clearance
Skills & Qualifications:
• Must be a self-starter and possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently as part of a team
• Excellent communication, computer, documentation, and presentation are required
• Ability to make sound decisions
• Detail Oriented
• Ability to multi-task
• Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
This position can be filled at one lower level requiring a BS in Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering, or related discipline with a minimum of 4 years of experience.
Must be a US citizen
At Orbital ATK, our strategy is to deliver affordable innovation to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. You’ll be amazed at what you can do! Orbital ATK offers a fast-forward environment for analytical and creative thinkers. Our organization is built on a foundation of outstanding talent and is committed to growing the skills of our workforce. Orbital ATK employees experience challenges of national and international significance that can’t be overstated. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver innovative solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.