Job ID: DOM20162009-36688
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Principal Mechanical Design Analysis Engineer to support our Armament Systems Division team in our Mesa, AZ location.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
The Mechanical Design Analysis Engineer is responsible for electromechanical design and analysis of new and mature medium caliber weapon systems.
1. Applies mechanical design experience to ensure design of gun systems and associated components meet design standards for function, fit and safety.
2. Finite Element Analysis (FEA), MSC Nastran, ABAQUS, & ADAMS preferred.
3. Works with design, project manufacturing and quality engineers though the development process.
4. Key contributor on development programs, managing assigned responsibilities and directing the work of other engineers, technicians and administrative personnel to accomplish program goals.
5. Adheres and maintains OATK’s engineering process to include concept through production design and design standards
6. Mechanical modeling (CAD – computer aided design), NX preferred.
7. Act as or support lead engineer as program cost account manager to assure accurate schedule and cost tracking.
8. Presentation of assigned work at program technical reviews, proposals, or other technical meetings.
9. Reviews engineering designs and drawings for dimensions, material selection, processing, heat treat etc.
10. Applies engineering knowledge in the investigation and solution of complex technical problems.
11. Preparation and planning of cost estimates and written technical proposals.
12. Act as the technical interface to external customers, and form working relationships with representatives of external technical organizations
13. Develop technical relationships with vendors and suppliers, in coordination with subcontracts management and quality functions, to facilitate technical flow-down and understanding of requirements, testing, and process control
14. Support manufacturing trade studies and early supplier involvement
15. This position may require occasional travel to meet with various customers, in both government and industry, and to interface with vendors.
16. Provides leadership and shares knowledge with other engineers
• BS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
• 10 + of directly related mechanical design experience and/or FEA.
• Experience in product development projects and sustainment of legacy programs for complex aerospace or defense systems
• Strong mechanical design experience with complex gear trains, cams, springs, clutches, machined components, welded structures, electric motors and solenoids
• Familiarity with systems engineering processes and other specialty engineering activities within the product development process
• Working knowledge of computer aided design (CAD) software, preferably NX
• Strong mechanical skills and exposure to production/factory floor environment
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Project).
• Working knowledge of FEA software, preferably MSC Nastran/Patran, ABAQUS & ADAMS.
• Experience writing statements of work and estimating project scope
• Welded structure and machined component design experience
• Material selection in both metals and plastics
• Knowledge of GD&T
• Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM).
• Ability and experience with presenting complex technical concepts to audiences with a broad range of technical experience
• U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
• Position may require domestic and international travel
This position requires an individual who can multi-task, with effective time-management and communication skills. This position requires excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills.
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.