Job ID: CM20162111-37415
Orbital ATK employs students from a variety of disciplines, including technical and engineering fields. College students may receive hands-on projects involved with such areas as the design, build and support work on space systems that support scientific missions to study near-earth and other space environments, and to advance new technologies. During these internships, a major project will be assigned and/or many discrete opportunities will be available. In many cases, internships serve as a potential stepping stone to full time employment.
Orbital ATK is currently looking to fill an intern position to support our Manufacturing Engineering team in the San Diego, California facility of our Space Components Division. While working as an intern for Orbital ATK – San Diego you will be given the opportunity to learn/strengthen the following skills in a professional environment.
As an Intern in the Manufacturing Engineering group you will:
• Work with Materials & Process Engineering, Design & Analysis Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering to improve precision aerospace manufacturing techniques.
• Work side-by-side with manufacturing technicians to fabricate space flight hardware under Manufacturing Lead and Value Stream Leader oversight.
• Learn about and document differences between Precision Assembly and Reflector Assembly processes for incorporation into internal process specifications.
• Provide and implement Design for Manufacturing improvements from a technician’s point of view using their engineering background/education.
• Help to standardize specific build requirements for the manufacturing of aerospace hardware. An example may include standardized tooling features (bushed pins, removable repeatable, etc.).
College Students who are preparing to enter their junior/senior year pursuing a BS degree in Mechanical, Manufacturing or Aerospace Engineering. Strong candidates for this position will possess many of the following attributes:
• Prefer understanding and / or experience with composites fabrication/manufacturing/assembly
• Proficient in Microsoft Office tools including Word, Excel and Visio.
• Visual Basic programming is a plus.
• Experience with CAD software such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks or NX is a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong problem solving skills
• Familiar with Kaizen and practicing continuous improvement.
• Basic knowledge of Lean Manufacturing principles and practices a plus
• Project management experience a plus
• Experience and success in working within teams
• Proven leadership ability from past experiences
• Proven ability to multi-task and self-starter able to work independently
• Strong interpersonal skills to drive actions necessary to accomplish assigned tasks
• Customer focus
• Strong, proven organizational skills in managing time, projects and resources
• Technical attention to detail on past projects and assignments
• The successful candidate will be motivated, detail oriented and a team player.
In order to be considered, candidates must submit their resume online with the following education information: major, graduation date, and most current cumulative GPA (must be 3.0 or higher).
It is also helpful if you indicate if you are seeking full time or internship opportunities.
Most positions will be filled as a 12-week internship (from mid to late May until mid to late August 2016).
No student housing is provided.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.