Job ID: BDH20161212-37617
With projected annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, approximately 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK Space Systems Group designs, manufactures and operates small and medium-class spacecraft for communications, imaging, scientific, exploration and national security space applications. The Group is leading supplier of space components that power and enable satellites of all classes, provides technical engineering services to government agencies and laboratories, and is developing exciting new satellite servicing and advanced space flight technologies.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
This Systems Engineering position is an engineering support role on the Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) program within the Space Systems Group at Orbital ATK. The job responsibilities will be as an individual-contributor and deliverable/product lead within a multi-disciplinary engineering team. Successful candidate will perform traditional Systems Engineering functions for the CRS program, including requirements synthesis and flow-down, verification/validation planning, system trades study support, systems analysis, coordination of design efforts, and management of technical budgets & interface definitions. Responsibilities will also include interaction with program, functional and customer leadership.
In this role, the Systems Engineer will perform duties contributing to general mission or space vehicle systems engineering activities, which may include requirements flow down, tracking, verification, and the writing of complex specifications, interface control documents, and engineering reports from advanced studies, special engineering investigations, and similar activities. Tasks may also include harness interface design, mechanical systems support, Command & Telemetry database development, and space vehicle configuration modeling. The candidate must be knowledgeable in aerospace systems, spacecraft subsystems design, or mission operations. Advanced modeling & analyses relating to mission and technical problems may be required in support of development or mission operations teams. Position will also include responsibilities relating to integration, testing, and operational readiness of spacecraft and payloads. Candidate may be called on to assist in new business activities, such as conceptual design and analysis for proposals and funded studies, and may include authoring sections for both.
In this role, the Systems Engineer will perform analysis, design, or test of one or more moderately complex (or portions of complex) mechanical/structural components, subsystems, and/or functional systems. The candidate will analyze requirements for mechanical/structural component, subsystem, and/or functional systems. The candidate should be able to select applicable analytical data from previous systems, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically define the problem and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the system, and follow up by releasing the results as design data (once reviewed by a higher graded engineer). The engineer will develop original ideas, elaborate on preliminary design concepts, evaluate completed designs with their program/functional supervisors and other technical groups, and make the necessary design modifications to achieve the best design within the program constraints. The candidate may also develop and coordinate the conduct of test programs required to evaluate design work.
Desired experience includes Requirements Management Tools such as DOORS, Cradle, or CORE, and various analysis engineering tools, such as MATLAB, MATHCAD, and STK. Actual spacecraft operations and related ground systems expertise is always a plus. Additional experience in any of the following areas is also desired: orbital mechanics, power systems modeling, avionics or digital electronics design, telecommunications design, risk analysis, thermal design and analysis, or integration and testing (either at the spacecraft or payload level).
• Evaluate Cygnus design documentation and verification for compliance with customer and internally derived requirements
• Evaluate Cygnus design documentation to ensure manufacturability and application of previous CRS lessons learned
• Evaluate Cygnus design documentation to provide evidence for requirement verification and hazard control verification closure
• Support mission operation tasks for Launch, Phasing, Rendezvous, Departure, Secondary Activities, and Reentry
• Evaluate System Level test results and generation reports & review packages
• Evaluate secondary payload options and perform feasibility studies for system integration of secondary payloads or secondary mission objectives
• Evaluate cargo loading and removal operations throughout the Cygnus mission flow
• Provide support to selected elements of the program Systems Engineering Team
• Support and deliver SE Products and other deliverables, with a focus on mission success
• Troubleshoot and develop solutions to challenging Engineering problems
• Contribute to the technical management of program elements
• Provide systems engineering support for technical reviews
• Write status and technical performance reviews, analyses and reports
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in an Engineering or related field
• Seven years of related experience
• Thorough understanding of the Systems Engineering process
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Aptitude for understanding system and subsystem interactions
• Experience defining requirements and interfaces
• Travel to Dulles Campus one week out of every 4 weeks, or two weeks out of every eight weeks depending on the CRS flight manifest
• Experience with spacecraft integration & test, launch, and mission operations
• Experience with human spaceflight vehicle development including integration & test
• Experience developing verification documentation
• Experience with architecture development
• Familiarity with CRS products and the Cygnus design
• Understanding of flight software release process and mission database requirements
• Familiarity with Orbital ATK design documentation and release process
• Familiarity with MCC-Dulles Mission Control Center operations and concepts
• Master’s degree in a technical discipline (with five years of professional experience)
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D