Apply early as this job may be filled at any time.
The Summer Internship Program provides interns an opportunity to learn more about how our efficient, safe and “green” rail network supports the global supply chain. Interns participate in group events and projects, experiencing first-hand what it is like to be a full-time BNSF employee. Operating one of the largest railroads in North America, we have countless opportunities for interns to develop their skills, create new ideas and even travel!
The program begins with an extensive corporate orientation in Fort Worth, Texas. During the training period, interns receive a company overview and interact with company leaders. Following orientation, interns receive on-the-job training according to their assigned group. The summer will be spent in Fort Worth or in a field location that can be anywhere on BNSF’s system. The objective of our Summer Internship Program is to find students that will join us after graduation as part of our Management Trainee Program.
Relocation assistance may be provided to interns who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their permanent residence.
Work Location: Fort Worth, TX
Start Date: 06/02/2021
End Date: 08/10/2021
Salary Range: $4,281.25 per month
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail on a daily basis.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Opportunities exist to gain exposure in the following areas:
- Application Development
- Business Intelligence/Analytics
- Cyber Security
- Network Management
- SAP Development
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- System Architecture
- Mobile & Web Development
- Project Management
- Database Management
- Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligent Model Training and Development
- Organizational Change Management
- Image Analytics
- Cloud Administration
Interns will have the opportunity to participate in one of the following work groups:
- Application Development is an exciting area of Technology Services. Diverse skillsets, technologies and programming languages converge to provide solutions to support our dynamic railroad.
- With over 400 applications within the BNSF portfolio, interns have the opportunity to increase their business knowledge, technical skills, and contribute to one of the cornerstones of our economy. We seek talent for a variety of different programming languages and tools.
Some programming languages and tools we use:
- BNSF Infrastructure team is challenged every day with keeping our extensive IT infrastructure highly available. We create, maintain, and enhance architecture, security, tools, information, data centers, and so much more.
- Infrastructure works closely with the BNSF application development teams to stand up platforms including IP range, firewalls, physical servers, data centers, cloud, etc.
- Interns will broaden their knowledge of modeling data, designing, and supporting our mid-tier and cloud platforms. While ensuring the security, integrity, and availability of information maintains an environment conducive to sharing information for business purposes.
- Currently supporting Open Shift, Windows 2016 and 2019, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, Microsoft Azure, & request management automation.
- Currently exploring multiple vendors for Cloud platforms (admin or architect), infrastructure as code, & next gen data centers.
- Using Deep Learning and machine vision models to process large unstructured data (images) on Cloud, GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) clusters and IoT (Internet of Things) platforms for image recognition
- Assist in the application security including code review, Static Application Security Testing (SAST), Dynamic Application Security Testing (DAST) and defining secure application development guidelines. Discovery and remediation of Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) Top 10 and Common Weakness Enumeration (CWE) Top 25 vulnerabilities.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of various security operations services including vulnerability scanning, configuration assessments, and anomaly detection. Identifying cyber threats, determine root cause, scope, and severity of each, and compile/report the findings. Work with Penetration Testers and Cybersecurity Assessors to develop new tactics and techniques for identifying suspicious activities.
- Assist in configuring and maintaining user access to network resources and data based on corporate policies, procedures and standards. Providing end users with least privilege required for the assigned job.
- Assist in engineering and maintaining secure network infrastructure including firewalls, routers, proxy servers, DNS infrastructure, RADIUS infrastructure and wireless networks. Performing network infrastructure security assessments, network segmentation opportunities identification and execution, and network security service requests automation.
Strategy and Delivery Services:
- Strategy and Delivery Services is responsible for managing a $150M annual portfolio of technology projects and programs, aimed at driving innovation and growth across BNSF. This team provides end to end delivery support on initiatives, from idea inception to successful deployment of technologies, through critical functions such as project/program management and organizational change enablement.
- Strategy and Delivery Services has a unique vantage point, with relationships across technology and business, to support delivery of the right technology solutions to address specific business needs and objectives. While the project/program managers in the team manage the scope of work, budgets and schedules, the change managers focus on obtaining support and buy-in from intended users of the new technology solutions for a smooth deployment.
We utilize the following major skills, tools and methodologies:
- Project Management: Waterfall, Agile Scrum, SAFe and Kanban
- Organizational Change Enablement: Prosci ADKAR, Lean Change, Kotter’s Change Model
- Training Development and Delivery
- Facilitation, Communication, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
Additionally, qualified candidates must be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities listed above.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner.
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations.
- Demonstrate ability to complete tasks regardless of obstacles.
- Primarily an office environment, with some field activities.
- Normal office hours, Monday through Friday, with weekend or evening work as required.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above for engineering majors OR cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above for non-engineering majors.
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s or graduate degree program at an accredited university at the time of application and throughout the duration of the internship. Pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Information Technology, Decision Science, Computer or Software Engineering, Management/Business Information Systems OR any other Technical/Engineering related degree.
- Less than three (3) years of work experience in a professional work environment. When calculating work experience, EXCLUDE internships or positions held while in high school or college.
- Authorization to work in the US without Company sponsorship now AND in the future.
- Ability to relocate to Fort Worth, TX for the summer.
- General understanding required of Information Systems, including knowledge of application development, database administration, business intelligence, personal computers, and/or local area networks.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Strong drive for results as well as superior communications and teamwork skills to be able to gather information to identify and resolve problems.
- Graduation date prior to September 1, 2022.
- Ability in any of the following is preferred: application development, project management, mobile device development methodologies, database design, modeling, network planning and engineering and voice/video systems.
- Experience with one or more of the following programming languages and tools such as Java, C/C++, .Net(C#), ABAP, HTML5 and/or COBOL.
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to:
- Relocation Stipend
- Summer Lodging Stipend
- Potential for offer of fulltime position
- Paid Internship
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS:
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS:
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires BNSF employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing: biographic information; identity documents; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at http://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic.
SF: MO | [[mfield5]] | Technology Services | Fort Worth, TX | 76131