Requisition Number: 42156
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Scope of Position: This role is responsible for managing the Harrodsburg plant supply chain from end-to-end to enable 24×7 continuous flow manufacturing and development. The Supply Chain Manager defines and executes strategy in alignment with Division strategy and collaborates proactively with cross-functional teams to meet business needs. Key initiatives include oversight of production planning & scheduling; inbound and outbound logistics management; assured supply of materials & plant services; inventory optimization; and cost reduction. Position reports to the Plant Manager.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Develops the overall strategy for the Supply Chain function and ensures alignment with plant and division objectives
- Collaborates cross-functionally with peer managers in Operations, Engineering, Quality, Finance, EH&S, and HR to provide leadership and direction to the plant
- Collaborates with Division Supply Chain to:
- Develop production plans that meet customer requirements
- Develop near term tank plans that are aligned with strategic development activities
- Ensure long term tank plans align with current and expected technical capabilities
- Develops strategies for assured supply of raw materials, packaging, consumables, spares, and plant services to enable 24×7 continuous flow operations
- Works to maximize supply chain efficiency in inventory, ocean/air/truck/rail transportation, 3rd party warehousing, procurement, etc., while balancing costs and customer requirements
- Drives continuous improvement in all supply chain processes, ensuring availability of material, economical movement, and achievement of overall plant objectives
- Ensures accuracy of inventory records and reporting
- Ensures shipments comply fully with government import/export regulations
- Develops organizational strategies to meet business requirements while providing for learning and growth opportunities
- Main interface with other staff functions to ensure Supply Chain resources are aligned on key plant programs or projects o Develops budgets for capital and expense, headcount, materials, transportation, warehousing, etc.
- Collaborates with GSM to support and enable key strategic division or corporate initiatives
- Identifies and sets priorities for Supply Chain process and systems enhancements
- Leads a periodic, cross-functional weekend team that provides active onsite leadership to the plant. Ensures actions plans are developed and executed to address any weekend performance issues
- Takes a proactive role in ensuring a safe workplace by actively participating in the advancement of plant safety culture. Leads and supports safety improvement efforts in the plant. Performance metrics:
- Customer satisfaction (ship-to-plan, error free shipment, etc.)
- Inventory metrics (days of supply, inventory dollars, warehouse utilization, etc.)
- Supplier on-time delivery
- Plant financials
- Talent management (recognition, climate survey, etc.)
- Safety metrics
- As required. Travel to Corning (NY), Asia, or various domestic/int’l supplier/customer locations.
Hours of work:
- 8-5, Monday-Friday. Periodic evening conference calls. Weekend team leadership (6-7 weekends/year)
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a business concentration. Supply Chain preferred. MBA preferred
- 6-8 years of broad Supply Chain experience (demand/supply planning, procurement, transportation/logistics, inventory control, supply chain processes & systems, etc.)
- Management experience in a dynamic environment
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively across an organization to achieve common goals
- Ability to manage, coach, and develop employees
- Data collection and analysis skills
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and issues
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Sound decision-making skills
- Professional Supply Chain certification (e.g., CSCP, CPM, or equivalent)
- LEAN Six Sigma certification or equivalent experience
Required to sign covenant not to compete
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.