Requisition No: 236781
Agency: Department of Health
Working Title: STAFF ASSISTANT – 64045582 1
Position Number: 64045582
Posting Closing Date: 09/23/2019
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with the Florida Department of Health in Lee County
If you're looking to build a great career in public health – you've come to the right place.
Many of our innovative and successful health programs are recognized throughout Florida.
We hope you decide to join our team
The Department of Health’s mission is to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts
This Position is Responsible for specialized accounting records and related clerical functions in a detached engineering office which must report and deposit all monies received on a daily basis to the central accounting office. The work requires utilization of independent judgment and good accounting and math skills. Ability to work independently with good customer service skills.
Receive payments for billed PWS and SDWA accounts. Update account status using EHD and notify Office Manager of any changes to customer accounts. Maintain current contact information to include address, phone number, and email address for each customer.
Determine charges for laboratory services in accordance with approved fee schedule; prepare invoices for routine compliance sampling and approved charge accounts on a monthly basis and mail to customers no later than the 3rd working day of each month. Prepare invoices for other services and miscellaneous laboratory charges on a weekly basis, mailing to customers within three days of invoicing. Charges and fees are determined from daily bacteriological sample result forms, chemical result forms, oral or written requests, and internal invoices.
Prepare account statements with past due amounts and mail to customers no later than the 20th day of the month. Coordinate efforts to collect past due accounts with Office Manager.
Research, compile, and verify information relating to cost accounting for engineering and laboratory functions; prepare budgetary and income reports for department as requested.
Maintain all accounting records and keep on file until applicable audit(s) have been performed.
Prepare bank deposits each day so deposits are ready for courier dispatch by 9:00 A.M. the following day in accordance with accounting guidelines. Scan deposits and receipts into Danley Storage daily.
Prepare paperwork for clients' request for refunds on payments within two days of receipt of request; prepare vouchers for void receipts and forward to accounting office on same day as voided; maintain accurate file records on all transactions.
Close accounting period at the end of each month; prepare general ledger and accounts receivable reports; submit reports to the Accounting Department and Office Manager by the 5th of each month.
Maintain state purchasing card. Process time critical orders within one working day of notification. Order supplies and maintain paperwork following purchasing card rules and regulations. Be Proficient with MFMP and WORKS. Prepare requisitions to guidelines and process receipts of merchandise within one day of receipt.
Sort and distribute laboratory results and inspections on a daily basis; scan and mail or fax laboratory results and correspondence to applicable recipients as required per departmental procedures.
Act as office receptionist as needed. Assist with answering telephones, greeting customer, accepting water samples and public water plans and applications over the counter and create receipt for fees when necessary. Type bacteriological forms, correspondence, and memos as needed.
Maintain all assigned files and purge for storage routinely, according to scanning procedure and Department policy. Retrieve archived files from storage when needed for review. Help with records purging as requested or any other work in off-site storage unit.
Perform as assigned any other duties within the scope of environmental health as directed by the supervisor. Enter Daily Activity Reports daily and submit time sheets as required. Attend DOH mandatory training prior to assigned deadlines and respond to Everbridge Emergency alerts within 30 minutes.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS PREFERRED:
- Three years of secretarial or clerical work experience.
- A high school diploma or its equivalent can substitute for one year of the required work experience.
Other job-related requirements for this position:
- Incumbent may be required to work before, during and/or beyond normal work hours or days in the event of an emergency. Emergency duty required of the incumbent includes working in special needs or Red Cross shelters, or performing other emergency duties including, but not limited to, responses to threats involving any disaster or threat of disaster, man-made or natural.
- Incumbent must possess a valid Florida driver license and reliable transportation.
- Taking Confidential Information Out of the Health Department: This position is authorized to transport confidential information outside of established DOH-Lee facilities and must comply with parameters defined in DOHP 50-10.
- This position will abide by all state and federal laws, rules, and DOH Policies and Procedures.
- Selected immunizations or titers and/or periodic screening for tuberculosis may be recommended for this position.
- Information Custodian Designee: This position has the responsibility to carry out information custodian responsibilities related to the Environmental Engineering information set in the absence of the assigned Information Custodian or as delegated as defined in DOHP-50-10.
- This position has the responsibility of being the Alternate Key Custodian for the Environmental Engineering secure area(s) at the Danley Drive location, and, in the absence of the Key Custodian, will perform related duties as defined in DOHP 50-10.
Working hours: (A) Daily from 8.00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (B) Total hours in workweek 40 + 40 (C) Explain any variation in work (split shift, rotation, etc.) May be required to work additional hours as needed.
Knowledge, skills and abilities, including utilization of equipment, required for the position:
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices & procedures
- Knowledge of correct spelling, punctuation & grammar usage
- Knowledge of standard business formats & styles for letters & business forms
- Knowledge of office procedures and practices.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of effective communication.
- Knowledge of the methods of data collection.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic.
- Skill in operating a personal computer.
- Ability to deal with the public in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetical calculations.
- Ability to utilize problem-solving techniques.
- Ability to operate general office equipment
- Ability to follow office procedures & practices
- Ability to organize & maintain filing systems
- Ability to handle telephone calls in a courteous & effective manner
- Ability to plan, organize & coordinate work assignments & communicate effectively verbally & in writing
- Ability to establish & maintain effective working relationship with others
- Ability to understand, interpret & apply applicable rules, regulations, policies & procedures
- Ability to prioritize individual workload
- Ability to frequently bend, kneel, reach, and sit or stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds routinely
- Ability to frequently use telephone, computer, copier and small hand tools, i.e.; stapler, scissors, etc.
- Ability to work with occasional loud noises
- Ability to locate information that is listed alphabetically & numerically
- Ability to follow instructions
- Ability to review data for accuracy & completeness
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in varying hot and cold temperatures in the office
- Ability to think independently and use good judgment
- Ability to climb ladders and have no problem with heights
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS PREFERRED:
Three years of secretarial or clerical work experience. College education from an accredited institution can substitute at the rate of 30 semester or 45 quarter hours for each year of the required work experience. Vocational/technical training in the area of secretarial science or office/business studies can substitute at the rate of 720 classroom hours for each year of the required work experience.
A high school diploma or its equivalent can substitute for one year the required work experience.
- Florida has the third largest population of veterans in the nation with more than 1.5 million service men and women. The Florida Department of Health (DOH) is committed to serving members of the United States Armed Forces, veterans and their families by encouraging them to apply for vacancies that fit their area of knowledge and/or expertise. Through the Departments VALOR program, which expedites licensing for military veterans, the Department also waives initial licensing and application fees for military veterans who apply for a health care professional license within 60 months of an honorable discharge. These initiatives help ensure that the transition from military service into the workforce is as smooth as possible and reflects our appreciation for the dedication devoted to protecting our country. Certain veterans and spouses of veterans deemed eligible will receive preference in employment by the state (applies only to Career Service (CS) positions).
- ** Note: Your responses to qualifying questions for this position must be verifiable by documentation provided through the electronic application process. **
- This position requires a security background check and/or drug screening and participation in direct deposit. Any misrepresentations or omissions will disqualify you from employment consideration. Note: You will be required to provide your Social Security Number (SSN) in order to conduct this background check
- Male applicants born on or after October 1, 1962, will not be eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday, or have a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS. For more information, please visit the SSS website: http://www.sss.gov
- If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS), please check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if you are re-employed with the State of Florida. Your current retirement benefits may be canceled, suspended or deemed ineligible depending upon the date of your retirement.
- The successful candidate will be required to complete the Form I-9 and that information will be verified using the E-Verify system. E-Verify is operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration to verify employment eligibility. Only U. S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers will be hired.
- Incumbents may be required to perform emergency duty before, during, and/or beyond normal work hours or days.
- If there are any problems applying online please call People First Staffing Administration: (877) 562-7287 Service Center hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET. TTY users call (866) 221-0268.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.