As a current employee you know Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. The safety of our passengers, our more than 20,000 colleagues, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of you.
By living the Amtrak values and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Under the direction of the Director Portfolio Management or the Senior Manager Engineering PMO, the Senior Project Manager is responsible for managing major or mega complex capital construction projects, or large and complex components of a larger program. Individuals in this role use advance knowledge of project management processes and controls to accomplish project objectives by planning and evaluating project The role requires regular analytical and metricsbased reporting to other staff, Executive Committees, and stakeholders. Positions in the Engineering PMO will require demonstrated experience in technical writing, delivering project management training, and defining requirements.
• Develops and implements project plans, schedules and budgets consistent with operational needs and budget allowances and oversees bid negotiations and consultant relationships.
• Manages and monitors project schedules, progress and costs; maintain, adjust and update project plans, as needed; consolidate, communicate and manage all issues and risks affecting the project, and ensure the timely communication of project status to project participants and stakeholders.
• Ensures project progress by measuring the variance in scope, schedule, cost and quality from the respective baselines and takes necessary action to address deviations.
• Identify, document and lead evaluation of changes based on cost, schedule, risk and scope impacts as well as crossfunctional dependencies. Ensure appropriate packaging of relevant information to support appropriate project change and governance decision processes.
• Mentor and coach junior level Project Management staff and matrixed team members, and provides guidance on adherence to the Project Management practices.
• Work with senior leaders to contribute relevant data to support annual planning activities.
• Provide financial project performance and forecasting reports to senior executives and government regulators. Identify and evaluate the risks associated with project activities and work across organization to establish and monitor mitigation plans.
• Ensure engagement of executive sponsors and key stakeholders.
• Establish collaborative partnership among stakeholders to enable scoping, financial and resource decisions.
• Develop and maintain required project management documents in accordance with Amtrak Project Management standards and applicable regulations.
• Identify efficiencies and present recommended improvement opportunities at various levels of management. Adheres to Amtrak Enterprise Project Management methodology and standards.
• Builds and maintains external relationships to provide effective communication of capital program status and accomplished goals and objectives.
• Develops and administers of the budget for assigned projects; approves the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; approves expenditures and implements budgetary adjustments as appropriate. Represents Amtrak at meetings and conferences with elected and public officials, the community, private citizens, and public and private organizations.
• Analyze challenges, problems, and process breakdowns to ensure that lessons learned are used to improve project management and project delivery practices.
• Maintains a teamwork environment within all peers as well as the engineering department’s internal customers. Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of project management in public transportation.
• Identify and recommend processes to be improved to drive continuous improvement in deliverable quality.
• Effectively contributes to a safe and secure work environment for employees and travel experience for customers. Demonstrates necessary leadership to support a zero incident and injury culture within Amtrak.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management, or a closely related field.
• PMP certification (Must be willing to obtain within 12 months of date of hire).
• 7+ years of experience in project management with emphasis on medium to large scale project implementation in the passenger railroad field
• In lieu of education a minimum of 11 years of relevant work experience, or equivalent combination of education, training, and work experience is needed
• Successfully demonstrates expert knowledge and ability to effectively oversee scope, schedule and budgets of capital improvement and capital maintenance programs .
• Extensive experience managing diverse, large, and geographically dispersed groups of individuals.
• Extensive experience showing strong interdepartmental leadership with the ability to identify problems and develop and implement solutions.
• Extensive understanding of business operations and the impact departmental actions have on the corporation and operations.
• Experience working with government agencies and organizations.
• Professional Engineer’s (PE) License or Licensed Architect
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering