Requisition Number: 41784
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
– Purpose of the Position
• This position is with Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering (MTE) to lead process/product development/improvement and technology transfer projects into Asia manufacturing operations.
• Designs and plans layout for such processes as hardening, coating, annealing, cleaning, forming, washing, laminating, etching, engraving, polishing, plating, and other material-processing operations.
• Apply knowledge of engineering principles and utilize the scientific method to establish and extend 1st generation process understanding for manufacturing.
• Develop hypotheses; design and execute experiments to test hypotheses. Gather observations based on rigorous analysis of process data and measurements and physical equipment experiments
• Establish process parameters and requirements in designing and acquiring processing equipment. Lead or strong involvement in establishing SOP, Machine Spec and FAT/SAT with equipment team.
• Exercising judgment by using innovative or best engineering practices, procedures, methods, and techniques in selecting appropriate process and equipment platforms for achieving manufacturing cost, capacity and quality.
• Works on complex problems using engineering and manufacturing tools where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors to achieve desired outcomes.
• Project assignment will involve traveling to across Asia (China, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, S. Korea etc.) and emerging regions. Strong technical linkage with MTE/S&T and division core technology groups in USA.
– Day to Day Responsibilities
• Scope / initiate specific projects as necessary. Ensure the application of appropriate technologies
• Define and successfully assemble capable matrix project team from MT&E, division engineering and plants engineering and manufacturing capabilities and resources to execute projects.
• Build an effective technical network of relationships within internal technology community and external critical technology suppliers, peers, and academia and reach labs.
• Be member of the Engineering Excellence community of practice to advance process/product fundamental understanding in solving difficult technology and manufacturing problems.
• Establish a culture that values engineering capability, technical depth, and deployment of scientific method to solve manufacturing and engineering problems.
• Recognized as a subject matter expert on Engineering Excellence (DMAC, Six Sigma, and MEE) methodologies and is sought out to provide guidance on risks and capabilities to solve manufacturing challenges.
• Drives step change with high impact on key manufacturing and engineering projects and initiatives.
• Hands-on leader/participants in project scope, design, build, installation and commissioning to meet the objectives
• Ensure documentation of manufacturing processes, quality systems and best practices on all projects.
• Champion and encourage IA generation through RTR, ID and Patent filing on engineering initiatives.
• Extensive travel to Corning Incorporated and vendors locations in Asia and USA on project assignments (50-+% travels).
– Project involved with
• Innovation projects with research, development, engineering and manufacturing teams.
Early stage development projects (1-2) and new process/product development projects.
• Technology transfer and process industrialization for manufacturing operation (stage 3-5).
• Process performance, cost reductions and quality improvement projects.
• Hands-on leadership with project and plant operation teams to meet manufacturing 4C objectives-(Cost, Capability, Capacity and Culture) and delight the customers on quality and performance.
• Work with division project/engineering leaders, plant managers, MTE COE managers and contractors
– Education and Experience
• Minimum Master’s degree in engineering or equivalent technical degree
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in leading highly technical multi-discipline and multi-cultural engineering projects.
• Prior engineering experience with project leadership responsibility for the design, development, and deployment of robust cost-effective process, and quality systems for product manufacturing
• Over 10 years professional career in process engineering and product manufacturing support.
• Advanced degree and/or working experience from North America or Europe is a plus.
– Required Skills
• High level of innovative and technical curiosity that enable effective solutions to manufacturing challenges.
• Track record of engineering and manufacturing accomplishments (e.g. Leading teams in delivering significant capital projects to manufacturing, meeting manufacturing improvement goals, making step change process improvements, managing innovation, and expanding technical capability with a focus on key project management skills.
• Manufacturing experience in material conversion or processing for glass, ceramic or polymer products. .
• Ability to manage and influence a matrix project team (division, plant, and MT&E members) to deliver results.
• Teamwork and collaborative skills across diverse multi-function and multiple technical organizations.
• Sound problem solving and decision-making skills.
• Excellent written/oral communication skills in English and Asian language (Mandarin, Japanese and Korea)
• Ability to manage multiple priorities with sound planning, organizing and managing.