Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
The Field Technician applies electrical and/or mechanical expertise to assist in troubleshooting systems related to Rolling Stock Equipment. Offers technical guidance and determines best course of actions as it pertains to Repeat/Bad Actor scenarios. Assist in training of system specific troubleshooting skills to technical staff.
- Assist in the diagnoses of electronic, mechanical, and pneumatic system malfunctions or failures of the control equipment and its components using knowledge of equipment, technical manuals, and troubleshooting instruments.
- Troubleshoot malfunctions related to the equipment and proposes solutions to avoid future failures by working with the Rollingstock Engineering Department.
- Documents malfunctions related to Repeat/Bad Actors utilizing WMS work orders to track and disseminate Actions Taken.
- Consistently locate and use appropriate technical data when performing all maintenance activities.
- May ride trains as required to determine en-route performance of control/mechanical systems and to assess dynamic state of system repairs
- Degree in Engineering, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Experience troubleshooting electrical, electronic and/or mechanical, pneumatic systems using diagnostic equipment.
- Ability to read schematics and interpret technical documents and instructions
- Basic knowledge of FRA, FDA, and AAR Standards and Regulations.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in maintaining railroad equipment – Locomotives / Cars.
- Commitment to maintaining safe working environment
- Ability to collaboratively work with others in a teamwork environment.
- Ability to learn new tasks (both complex and routine) in a fast-paced environment with frequently changing priorities
- Effective technical writing and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays as necessary to maintain necessary coverage.
- Working knowledge and experience working within a Condition Based Maintenance strategy.
- Working knowledge of various data management business systems including SAP, Ariba and WMS
- Experience in railroad related or similar transportation industry; 3 or more years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of various fleet and equipment nomenclature to include transportation industry style vehicles
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Mechanical || Mechanical