Requisition Number: 42146
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Day to Day Responsibilities
• Participate in developing and implementing manufacturing processes that involve glass or material substrate chemical reaction process. i.e. etching, ion-exchange, lamination and substrate bonding/ stacking.
• Lead experimentation process development for new production line and to drive fundamental understanding.
• Work to improve chemical reaction processes for existing and new products. Improve manufacture performance like yield improvement, cycle- time reduction, capacity and throughput increment, etc.
• Assist in performing root cause analyses of product failures and implement corrective actions. Provide support for new business opportunities.
• Defining and analyzing equipment performance, capability and requirements, co-work on stage 2-3 development/testing and stage 4-5 technology migration.
• Work with research & development teams for new processes and product development and introductions.
• Transfer of technology to divisions and manufacturing plants with full implementation of training and documentation systems (Standard Operation Procedures, Process Set-points, FMEA, MSDS, Rosh and Training)
• Assess risks of chemical application in engineering, technologies and manufacturing. Recommend suitable substitutes for related industrial application.
• Process engineering study and implementation of final products final inspection, data collection, and quality controls to meet customer specifications.
• Be consulted for the information of process control and lesson learned regarding to projects experiences and backgrounds. Open conferences to direct processes and share technologies to individual division and manufacturing plants.
• Effective communication in interdisciplinary teams. Organize opinions from team members, customers and vendors. Execute project plan, tasks and schedule effectively as a lead of a technical team.
• Job requires periodic travel to Corning Incorporated and suppliers’ locations in Asia, Europe and USA for process development for new products, new operation and process improvement projects.
– Project involved with
• Projects related to this position require teamwork with manufacturing, equipment engineering, process engineering, development and other related organizations:
1. Develop new processes from initial development through technology transfer
2. Evaluate or qualify new products, new processes and new systems
3. Solve day to day manufacturing process problems, provide long-term solution
4. Lead new line system installation, calibration, start ups and qualifications
5. Optimize processes, positive impact on manufacturing and thorough documentation
Education and Experience
• PhD preferred, M.S. minimum in Optical physics, Polymeric Science, Chemistry/Chemical Engineering; or, Materials Engineering. Master degree in engineering with strong Analytical statistics and mathematics is a plus
– Required Skills
• Solid knowledge on glass and substrate chemical reaction especially etching, ion-exchange, lamination and substrate bonding/ stacking.
• Chemistry recipe and process design experience, ability to run engineering test with simulation capability would be plus.
• Etching or IOX engineering experience is plus
• Ability to function on a product development team of multi-disciplinary engineers.
• Strong problem solving/analysis skills
• Proficient in English and Mandarin. Good written and oral skills are essential.
• Presentation and technical writing skills to enable communication within the program team, internal, and external customers
• Self-starter, passionate about engineering and have a high level of technical curiosity.
• Dedicated, open to new ideas and recognized for your flexibility to change"