Requisition Number: 38429
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
To provide complex software solutions to the S&T community focusing on system automation, data acquisition, and process control. Candidate will be required to provide occasional break-fix and troubleshooting support of existing systems and commercial equipment. A general understanding of the latest automation products, instrumentation, and electrical systems is needed, since it is common to work on next generation development systems. Working with other engineering groups within the science and technology community, facility trades, and contractors on equipment installations and repairs is common. An ability to pay careful attention to detail is a must.
Key Duties in the life cycle of developed products:
- Form initial ideas with customers
- Investigate new and novel solutions
- Estimate level of effort and cost
- Work to agreement on proposals
- Liaising with end users and management
- Produce Requirements and Specifications
- Software Design, Development, and Test
- System Integration, Verification, and Acceptance Testing
- Provide user training
- Handle customer feedback
- Continued support and maintenance of deployed products
- Work with customers to understand future needs
Typical projects involve working with Characterization Science and Services, Research, and Development organizations within the Corning research facility.
Role within group:
As a software automation engineer in the Process Control and Instrumentation (PC&I) organization, this role will span everything from basic emergency on call duties to longer term project commitments in the fields of automated test development and engineering.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8-5 Flex Available
Travel: minimal, <5% as needed based on project requirements
Education: BSEE, BSCS, or higher
Experience: 0-5 years or 5-10 years (in equivalent position)
- Skillset with device drivers, data acquisition equipment, control of electrical and mechanical devices, communication interfaces, data manipulation and analysis.
- Software development (using VB, C#, LabVIEW, AB PLCs, or similar) for HMI, process control, and data reporting.
- Data archive and retrieval from Oracle database via SQL.
- Practiced customer communication skills.
- Strong technical skills around process equipment installation, start up, and debug are required. A broad range of skills is more appropriate than a depth in one area.
- Ability to problem solve complex issues using causal analysis and provide corrective actions.
- Ability to work independently, in situations where information is sketchy at best. Must be able to quickly isolate issues, find the pertinent information, and apply the correct solutions
- Experience with control algorithm development
- Knowledge of software development environments, configuration tools, and debuggers
- System calibration and characterization experience
- Setup and control of electronic, mechanical, and acquisition devices
- Ability to develop test plans and manage beta testing of software
- Practical understanding around development of test requirements
- Basic understanding of statistical methods
- Refined communications skills, both verbal and written
- Practiced understanding of Microsoft windows operating system environment
- Understanding of a wide variety of interfaces to other software platforms and APIs
- Ability to work and communicate well in a team environment.
- High degree of flexibility to deal with the continually changing project landscape.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities
- Communications with all levels of a multi-faceted organization is important. Customer interface skills are constantly used.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.