Requisition No: 235321
Agency: Department of Health
Working Title: SENIOR REGISTERED NURSE – 64065002
Position Number: 64065002
Posting Closing Date: 09/24/2020
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH – HILLSBOROUGH
Division of Disease Control – Specialty Care – Senior Registered Nurse
1105 East Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33602
SENIOR REGISTERED NURSE
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with the Florida Department of Health – Hillsborough County. If you're looking to build a great career in public health – you've come to the right place. Many of our innovative and successful health programs are recognized throughout Florida. We hope you decide to join this team and make the Florida Department of Health – Hillsborough County your employer of choice.
The Department of Health’s mission is to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.
The Florida Department of Health is responsible for the health and safety of all citizens and visitors to the state. As a public health agency, the Florida Department of Health must monitor the health status of Floridians, diagnose and investigate health problems, and mobilize local communities to address health-related issues. The Florida Department of Health develops policies and plans that support health goals, enforce laws and regulations that protect the health of all residents and visitors, and link people to needed health care services. The Florida Department of Health also provides specialized assistance to pregnant women, infants, and children with special health care needs, regulates health care practitioners, and provides medical disability determinations.
Senior Registered Nurse:
The Senior Registered Nurse in the Specialty Care Center works independently performing professional nursing duties in the Specialty Care Center, assessing and treating clients under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse Supervisor. This position works closely with providers, STD clinic, STD & HIV field investigator staff, Pharmacy and AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) staff. Has good rapport with staff and clients, positive attitude is flexible, approachable and accepts change readily as evidenced by lack of substantiated complaints/confrontations with staff and clients.
This position requires to possess a valid State of Florida Registered Nurse license.
Responsibilities may include:
- Excellent and thorough triage skills with ability to discern between HIV related issues and non-HIV concerns. RNs must be able to multi-task as triage is conducted simultaneously with other clinic schedules.
- Interviews, assesses and evaluates clients with chronic illness and multiple co-morbidities.
- Administers injections and immunizations, provides medications and treatments as directed by licensed medical professionals according to agency policy and procedures
- Makes appropriate referrals for general and specialty care follow-up
- Records services provided in the Health Management System database
- Thorough and complete knowledge of community resources and referrals available, including but not limited to Ryan White program, Hillsborough County Health Care Plan, Medicaid/Medicare and Health Management Organizations (HMO)
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills and work with multiple providers
- Serves as case manager in the coordination of care and follow-up, including adherence, emergency room visits, DOH-Hillsborough clinical trials and drug studies.
- Uses translation telephone service when communicating with clients as needed
- Makes appropriate referrals for general and specialty care follow-up.
- Records services provided in the Health Management System database and records other information into progress notes.
- Active Florida Registered Nurse license or a multistate license from another Compact State.
- Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) or Bachelor Degree in Nursing (BSN).
- At least one year of experience working with acute and chronic clients.
- At least six months of experience with electronic health records.
Other Desirable Qualifications:
- Phlebotomy Training or Certification
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of nurse triage (telephone and face to face), understanding and use of office equipment, including but not limited to PC, fax, scanner, copier and basic medical equipment, blood pressure, thermometer, glucose, and wound care. Understanding of electronic health systems, Microsoft software and basic understanding of insurance information, eligibility and referrals processes.
- State of Florida Retirement package – 3% employee contribution required
- 9 Annual paid holidays
- Ability to earn 104 hours of paid Annual Leave (annually)
- Ability to earn 104 Hours of paid Sick Leave (annually)
- Health insurance for individual or family coverage – State pays 80% of premium
- Life insurance – State pays 100% of premium
- Additional supplemental insurances available such as dental, disability, etc.
- Tax Deferred Medical and Child Care Reimbursement Accounts available
- Tuition waivers to attend State Universities/Community Colleges
- Public Service and Nurse’s Forgiveness Program
- Additional benefits information can be found under the employment section of http://hillsborough.floridahealth.gov/about-us/careers.html
Important Notices- Please be advised:
***Note: Your responses to qualifying questions for this position must be verifiable by documentation provided through the electronic application process. Please review your resume and application thoroughly.
When completing the online application, all gaps of employment or education greater than 90 days starting from high school must be explained (approximate date, month and year) identifying company name or if unemployed. Incomplete applications/resumes will not be considered.
The application includes background information questions. A “yes” answer to these questions will not automatically bar you from employment. The nature, job-relatedness, severity, and date of the offence in relation to the position you are applying are considered. Please make sure all questions are answered thoroughly.
Incumbents may be required to perform emergency duty before, during, and/or beyond normal work hours or days.
Current State Employees – Salary for current employees is based on employee’s current payband/ paygrade. Salary for promotions will be based on budget availability and Senior Management Team approval.
Male applicants born on or after October 1, 1962 will not be eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday or have a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS. For more information, visit http://www.sss.gov.
This position requires a security background check and/or drug screening and participation in direct deposit.
Note: You will be required to provide your Social Security Number (SSN) in order to conduct this background check.
If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS), please check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if you are re-employed with the State of Florida. Your current retirement benefits may be canceled, suspended, or deemed ineligible depending on the date of your retirement.
The successful candidate will be required to complete the Form I-9 and that information will be verified using the E-Verify system. E-Verify is operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration to verify employment eligibility.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.