For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We have an opportunity for a motivated and pro-active individual to join the scientific team at the Charles River Laboratories Portishead site in the UK. The site is focused on providing state of the art cell biology and pharmacology support to a range of global pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies in areas including autoimmune and inflammatory disease, immune oncology and infection. We work on projects from drug discovery through to clinical trials.
The successful applicant will join a dynamic and flexible team using a variety of state-of-the-art facilities as part of in vitro and ex vivo studies. As a Scientist, the successful candidate will support their line manager in planning and overseeing execution of projects, and will interact with pharmaceutical and biotechnology clients to report on progress and discuss data and next steps. After training, there will be scope for the individual to take a role in leading projects, developing new assays.
The vacancy exists within the Flow Cytometry team of our Analytical Services Group, who provide flow cytometry support and expertise for both pre-clinical multi-team projects and for early phase clinical trial studies. As a scientist in the flow cytometry team, you will assist colleagues with sample preparation and flow cytometry assay set up alongside leading your own projects. There will also be opportunities to cross-train at other immunological endpoints such as Luminex, Nanostring, ELISA, confocal microscopy and culture of primary cells and cell lines. The post holder will work on exciting novel treatments for human diseases, making a genuine contribution to moving potential new drugs into the clinic. Charles River Portishead offers a supportive environment in which training and progression are provided.
• This position will be suited to a scientist educated to a Post-doctoral level, or to a degree BSc level with industry or laboratory experience in an immunology related field, with a strong understanding of immunology and a good command of biomedical sciences.
• Experience with immune cell analysis using flow cytometry and FlowJo software would be beneficial.
• Some experience in developing, optimizing and executing biological assays ideally in a pharma or biotech setting.
• Highly organised and collaborative with an ability to plan your own week to week activities within a given work programme with agreement of their Line Manager.
• Self-motivated to deliver high quality data sets to tight deadlines.
• You will be able to comply with protocols and all applicable SOPs. All personnel have a responsibility to understand and follow the company’s quality management system, maintain accurate records and work to a high standard.
• Some experience in presenting data, generating conclusions and recommending next steps from experimental results would be beneficial.
• An understanding of GCP/GCLP and a clear grasp of the drug discovery process would be an advantage.
Discovery from Charles River is industry-proven in the successful development of novel therapies, with over 350 patents and 80 preclinical drug candidates delivered to our sponsors in the past 17 years. Backed by more than 650 scientists, our comprehensive, integrated portfolio employs the latest technology and platforms to provide chemistry, biology, and pharmacology services that support clients from the earliest stages of hit identification all the way through to IND. Our client-focused, collaborative approach creates true partnerships that anticipate challenges, overcome obstacles, and move us forward together on the journey of getting new drugs to market.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.