LOC_ABRAMSON-Abramson Building Req ID: 75443
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
The Cardiology Research Laboratory at CHOP is recruiting an experienced Research Technician. The required background is a Bachelor’s degree in biology. chemistry, or a related scientific discipline; two (2) years of laboratory experience is preferred. This member of the research team will participate in translational cardiovascular disease research projects under the direction of Dr. Robert J Levy and in collaboration with several other teams at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and University of Pennsylvania.
The project of interest in Dr. Levy's lab is focused on developing new strategies for treating heart valve disease. This position offers an exciting opportunity to participate in translational research projects related to serotonin mechanisms that are responsible for the progression of heart valve disease.
Experience with cell and molecular biology techniques is preferred. After initial training, the individual is expected to independently perform cell culture and molecular biology experiments, reporting to the principal investigator. The technician will also assist with developing new experimental procedures, provide guidance for less experienced research personnel, and participate in shared daily laboratory operations
The successful candidate will possess excellent communication and organizational skills, including meticulous scientific recordkeeping, computer literacy, ability to work between projects, and the ability to contribute to method development and validation.
General position responsibilities include assisting in maintaining equipment, managing hazardous chemicals, lab upkeep, and other general responsibilities in laboratory operation as assigned or directed, in order to meet the goals and objectives of the laboratory group.
Please attach resume and contact information for 3 references.
- Independently performs advanced, complex research procedures on experimental samples
- Formulates and performs complex lab experiments and analyzes reports the data including interpretation of methodologies
- Performs advanced calculations and maintains appropriate log and lab notebooks
- Plans and modifies research protocols and procedures with minimal direction from the principal investigator or supervisor
- Assists in development & troubleshooting of new techniques and ideas
- Prepares laboratory reagents, monitors and maintains laboratory inventory
- Supervises, trains and mentors junior and new staff members
- Determines work assignments, schedules and laboratory priorities
- Presents & discusses work at weekly lab meetings and national symposia
- Assists in writing of grants, journal articles, poster and oral presentations
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Required Experience: Two (2) years of laboratory experience
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Three (3) years of laboratory experience
- Previous supervisory experience.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146