Requisition Number: 40985
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The Specialty Materials segment manufactures products that provide more than 150 material formulations for glass, glass ceramics and fluoride crystals to meet demand for unique customer needs. Consequently, this segment operates in a wide variety of commercial and industrial markets that include display optics and components, semiconductor optics components, aerospace and defense, astronomy, ophthalmic products, telecommunications components and cover glass that is optimized for portable display devices.
Works with other team members to solve difficult technical, engineering related problems. Supports or leads continuous improvement activities, new product or process introductions and cost reduction projects. Supports fundamental process understanding and lowest cost producer objectives. Supports the development and execution of plans to evaluate new technology or improvements in existing technology resulting in a superior product in terms of quality and/or cost. Understands Corning's Intellectual property management processes and follows that process in documenting any intellectual property developed as part of a project.
- Provides day-to-day problem-solving support to production, development and research operations
- Train operators and trades personnel on new equipment and processes
- Uses meticulous processes and technical knowledge to build detailed technical understanding for key process steps
- Functions as a team member or team leader on focused projects
- Trouble shoots material, process and equipment issues, identifies root cause and implements corrective action
- Implements and documents material, process and/or equipment changes
- Uses sophisticated statistical tools and DOE techniques in problem solving and process/product improvement
- Assure quality and repeatability of processes and products
- Supports new product introductions through equipment installation, process certification, documentation and training
- Assures safety of operators and equipment and follows safety and environmental regulations
- Develops SME knowledge of material, process and/or equipment in focused areas of manufacturing or engineering
- Executes cost reduction and improvement (DMAIC) projects in line with business objectives Competencies (knowledge, skills, and behaviors):
- Understands how work gets done in organizations; builds networks that allow him/her to efficiently drive projects through the organizational structure; maximizes productivity while staying within constraints of formal policies and rules
- Calls attention to issues that impact customer satisfaction; views thing from the perspective of customers; encourages people to think about customers when making decisions
- Demonstrating Initiative. Takes action on his/her own without being prompted; handles problems independently; able to resolve issues without relying on extensive help from others; does more than is expected or asked
- Technical Learning
- Aiming for results. Purposefully pursues challenging goals and objectives; will to put in considerable time and effort to accomplish objectives; takes a highly focused, goal driven approach toward work
- Demonstrating tenacity and perseverance. Maintains high levels of energy and passion over an extended amount of time; does not give up when faced with complicated obstacles; completes what he/she starts; sees projects through to the end
- Learning Quickly. Quickly comprehends new problems and situations; needs very little time to learn and master new processes or tools; able to figure things out as he/she goes along
- Solving Complex Problems. Breaks down large problems into smaller, more manageable components; identifies key factors that influence the viability of different solutions; clarifies information needed to solve problems
- Adapting to Others. Changes his/her interpersonal style and approach based on the circumstance; modifies based on cues from others; makes an effort to treat people in a way that makes them feel comfortable and respected
- Developing Plans. Clearly defines goals and the actions required to accomplish them; considers possible changes, constraints or other obstacles that might impact plans; accurately estimates time and resources need to accomplish tasks
- Competence in Technical Field
- Prioritizing and Organizing. Work Allocates time and attention based on what is the most important to achieve key goals and objectives; approaches work in an organized and systematic manner; optimally handles tasks, information, and requests
- MS office; particularly Word, Excel (ability to build queries, set up spreadsheets with formulas, etc.).
- Must have a desire to analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to work in multi-functional teams.
- Interact with others and actively seek out answers.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Work with minimal direction (can plan/organize their activities based on objectives).
- Ability to perform process audits.
- Manufacturing experience desired. Analyzing and reviewing data to draw conclusions and drive towards process improvements. Ability to write experiments plans and reports. Understand flow of information and material through the manufacturing process. Provide process related instruction and/or training, as needed. Tracking and communication of product line critical to quality metrics
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering in Chemical, Ceramic, Materials Science or equivalent technical experience
- Track record of delivering results
- Knowledge in a technical field
- Project team membership. Previous experience is engineering and a manufacturing environment, preferred but not required
Required to sign covenant not to compete
Are you ready to start an exciting career with Corning, Inc.? Apply today!
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.