A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It’s a career journey you can be proud of, and you’ll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation. It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses “Be Good At Life.” To learn more, please visit LinkedIn, our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com.
The Policy Administration Solution Engineer serves as the owner of a number of mainframe applications. This role will play an integral part in the modernization efforts within this domain. These efforts focus on increasing the speed to market in which we are able to introduce life products, driving stability within our platforms and enhancing our architecture to leverage modern technologies.
- Oversight of multiple policy administration related applications ensuring stability
- Understanding the full stack application (Infrastructure through UI), ensuring currency and adherence to NYL and industry standards
- Acts as a subject matter expert in assigned functional domain(s), technologies and applications
- Ensure documentation is continuously updated and represents an accurate level of detail
- Perform impact analysis of changes requested / required within the ecosystem
- Supports initiatives through the entire solution delivery lifecycle from initial kickoff to production deployment, identifying potential technical risks and develops mitigation plans
- Provides recommendations to users on appropriate solutions, along with guidance concerning the business implications of application development projects
- Facilitates and leads design review sessions and technical discussions
- Works with Enterprise Architecture team to ensure standards and best practices are being adhered to
- Develops high-level solution designs to satisfy requirements, identifying patterns, constraints and risks
- Appropriately estimates effort and duration for required changes
- Oversees and/or executes the creation of lower level designs and development efforts within both agile and waterfall frameworks
- Works closely with test teams to ensure effective test coverage of required changes to support technical implementation
- Perform peer reviews and abides by separation of duties to ensure quality
- Identifies and executes opportunities to modernize technology, simplify logic, streamline processes, update architecture, etc. to enhance business performance and/or reduce risk
- Assists in evaluating new technologies that may enable business success
- Stays up-to-date on emerging trends and technologies and ensures that they are integrated into technical solutions whenever possible
Education / Training
- Required: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science; equivalent work experience accepted
- Preferred: Master's in Computer Science; equivalent work experience accepted
- Maintains up to date and thorough knowledge of modern mainframe technologies as well as complimentary / supplementary tools and techniques available in the marketplace
- Highly proficient in [Assembler, CICS, PL1, COBOL, IDMS, DB2, VSAM, VSAM Transparency, JCL Job Control Language)]
- Able to identify applicable practices for New York Life and recommends new directions to management as appropriate
- Possesses a broad understanding of current and emerging technologies, i.e., what is and what is not possible
- Typical candidates will possess 5+ years of relevant experience but will also consider candidates with less years of experience and BA/BS Degree or equivalent
- Mainframe technologies from 3rd party vendors such as SyncSort, FileAid, eXpediator, ISPW, ESP, etc.
- Understands how various new technologies can meet business needs, taking into account the business risks and benefits of adopting a new technology
- Life Insurance experience
- Possesses good understanding of a variety of development methods, including agile and waterfall, and their implications for a project
Additioal Skills / Knowledge
- Has good understanding of the overall business strategies and objectives of NY Life, and factors them into decisions and recommendations.
- Ability to facilitate technical discussions with diverse and cross-functional groups
- Able to resolve issues independently, analyzing solutions using judgment, knowledge and prior experience; develops a new perspective using existing solutions
- Track record of rapidly learning and mastering new technologies with the resources at hand, whether or not formal training is immediately available
- Conducts complete diagnosis of most business problems, factoring in a strong understanding of the business processes and anticipating implementation obstacles Excellent leadership skills with the capability to work closely with other technical areas, vendors, consultants, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including an ability to tailor communication to the target audience to achieve desired results
- Able to transform business change into system level solutions. Understands the business impact of different solutions and can assess and communicate the tradeoffs between business needs, technology requirements, costs and risk
- Effectively and proactively manages expectations
- Collaborates with senior level users to identify innovative methods of leveraging technology to improve efficiency, quality and speed to achieve successful outcomes.
- Recommends investments in new tools or the adoption of new processes/methodologies
- Performs risk assessment and develops a contingency plan with possible alternatives and a recommendation when unanticipated situations arise
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Job Requisition ID: 82850