Requisition Number: 41572
Corning, Inc. is a premier U.S. supplier of advanced optical solutions and components for the aerospace and defense industry!
Corning Advanced Optics is a global leader in providing cutting-edge material and optical solutions that serve a variety of commercial sectors. We have a long history in producing Electro-Optical Infrared (EOIR) systems and have one of the world’s largest diamond turning manufacturing operations located in Keene, New Hampshire.
Corning’s unmatched expertise in specialty glass and optical physics results in a diverse set of products. From design through manufacturing, Corning leverages its experience in single point diamond turning, precision machining, and thin film coating technology to produce integrated advanced multi and hyperspectral sensor systems and opto-mechanical assemblies. The intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) market segment is a primary area of focus.
Purpose of Position:
Responsible for managing the engineering team to improve equipment and process effectiveness and yields, drive product cost reduction activities, and facilitate new technology and product introductions. Drive the application of scientific and technological principles to operations or activities in the production of manufactured products. Make determinations regarding manufacturing methods, equipment layout, capacity utilization, process and product improvements, and process control systems. Drive manufacturing fundamental understanding though application of knowledge and methods for understanding physical phenomena to achieve specified characteristics and criteria for products and processes.
- Supervise team of Engineers and Technicians in the areas of Assembly and Testing, specifically products/programs that are assembled/tested in clean environment.
- Work with Plant Engineering Manager to set and implement short and long term engineering strategy to achieve plant production, quality, safety and financial goals
- Coach and mentor engineering personnel as appropriate to build and leverage skill sets to enhance effectiveness of engineering group
- Understand internal customer stated and implied needs and ensure their expectations are being met
- Define and track engineering objectives that link to the overall plant and business objectives
- Assign objectives and projects to direct reports. Provide guidance on project priority to ensure direct reports are focused on the appropriate project if conflicts arise
- Interface with and support Commercial and Division Engineering on new product and process introductions, raw material changes, and equipment or process changes
- Promote a culture of Process Control and Process Discipline
- Apply DMAIC principles to achieve project objectives
- Forecasting capital and expense spending, support the development of project Appropriation Request (AR) as needed
- Ensure that safety standards are practiced and met
- Ensure that intellectual property is protected.
Hours of work:
- Typical first shift production hours, M-F, 40+ hr
- May require occasional off shift support of production, experiments, project work, other miscellaneous activity
- < 5%. May be needed for training, benchmarking or other activity
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering (mechanical, optical, or physics). Desired: MS in related science, Work experience with optics or physics is a plus
- Effectively handle a high degree of change and ambiguity
- Lead technical team in resolution of problems and execution of strategy
- Interact with internal and external customers, building strong relationships for success
- Prior supervisory experience
- Work cross functionally (commercial, technical, technology) with a focus on manufacturability
- Able to set project direction using project management tools (ie. MS Project, risk assessment, scope management, etc)
- Independent problem solving and development of approach to solutions.
- Able to make sound decisions by blending analytical thinking with practical judgment.
- Articulate clear direction and program purpose
- Communication skills, both formal and informal.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Tools (Excel, Project, Word, PowerPoint).
- Experience with new products or adjacencies
- Creative problem solver
- Process discipline oriented. Follows established protocols and processes. Evaluates opportunities for improvements.
- Organized, rigorous attention to detail
- Self-starter, motivated
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
Required to sign a non-compete agreement.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.