Additional Work Location(s) :
About the Role
HARMAN’s diverse portfolio of technologies and intellectual property offers applicants an excellent opportunity to work with a professional Corporate Legal Department on a wide range of projects focused on intellectual property. As a member of our team, your primary role will be to support a team of attorneys and paralegals within the Legal Department’s Global Patent Group with tasks relating to patent data and analysis, including but not limited to: tracking patent data deadlines; analyzing information obtained from a variety of internal and external sources for quality and accuracy; producing clear, high-quality intellectual property-related statistical information, reports, and presentations; and interacting with inventors and business leaders as a representative of the HARMAN Legal Department.This is an entry-level position, and training will be provided for all required duties. However, good working knowledge of MS Excel and PowerPoint, and previous experience working in a database, are required. Previous experience working with patents and/or intellectual property data/docketing highly preferred but not required.
The HARMAN Global Patent Group focuses on a broad range of intellectual property matters, including patent prosecution, licensing, litigation, and IP due diligence, in an international setting. The department aims to ensure a high-level of accuracy in data quality in order to provide an excellent work product result to our internal clients. Members of our team take direct ownership of data and processes while working together seamlessly as one unit. We work hard and accomplish amazing things as a team. The Patent Data Coordinator position reports to the Senior Paralegal, Intellectual Property Operations, and is a member of a team of paralegals who support 5 attorneys world-wide. This is your opportunity to join our talented professionals within the HARMAN Legal Department and contribute to a portfolio of cutting-edge technologies and cool products. At HARMAN, you can expect brilliance.
What You Will Do
• Manage the accurate collecting and manipulation of intellectual property-related data from a variety of sources and legal processes stored in a global asset management database.
• Develop and input specific data inquiries and other pertinent information into software programs and applications used by the Global Patent Group and business management of the company.
• Support the in-house Global Patent Group in all phases of reporting out on the HARMAN patent portfolio taking into consideration business objectives, goals and strategy.
• Assist with coordinating large volumes of information and preparing various presentations, tables, and charts for executive-level review and external reporting.
• Support a number of internal processes and projects focused on improving HARMAN Portfolio data or reducing the time to deliver reports to our business clients.
• Coordinate, audit, and report compliance with data quality standards requirements of the global patent portfolio database.
What You Need
• At least 5 years’ experience in a professional office setting, preferably in a corporate legal department or law firm.
• High proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office programs, including Excel and PowerPoint; experience working comfortably in databases.
• Experience with managing numerous projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment. Ability to work well under pressure and adjust to changing targets.
• Detail-oriented, excellent organizational skills, and ability to meet deadlines and prioritize workload.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including good interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently as well as closely with team members, to take direction, and to provide feedback when necessary.
What is Nice to Have
• Experience working in an intellectual property law firm or corporate intellectual property group preferred.
• Experience producing graphs and charts highly preferred.
• Experience docketing/tracking deadlines in a legal/intellectual property docketing database preferred.
• Some college preferred.
• A command of business and legal terminology preferred.
What Makes You Eligible
• Be willing to work in an office in the Novi/Farmington Hills area in Michigan.
• Be willing to work a 40-hour work week, and the flexibility to work overtime if necessary.
• Fluency in English.
What We Offer
• An inclusive and diverse multi-national work environment that fosters and encourages professional and personal development.
• Opportunity to collaborate with talented teams across the organization.
• Competitive salary with potential for growth.
• Excellent benefit package, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance, flexible spending, 401K, and more.
• Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN (JBL, Harman/Kardon, etc.) and Samsung products.