CMS Enterprises owns and operates independent power generating plants, natural gas assets and an energy marketing group for the non-utility segment of CMS Energy’s business. We are proud of our strong history of reliably serving our utility, municipal, commercial and industrial customers. Equally important to us is our role as a responsible corporate citizen through environmental stewardship and providing direct and indirect employment opportunities and other economic benefits to the communities we serve. Our strategy is focused on continued exceptional financial results through strong operations and safety performance, optimization of our assets, and disciplined growth in the domestic energy sector.
This position is available at our TES Filer City Station in Filer City, Michigan. TES Filer City Station generates steam with two non-reheat Foster Wheeler traveling grate spreader stoker boilers. Pollutants are removed from the flue gas stream using two flue gas dry scrubbers and two baghouses. An ABB 73-MW single-flow condensing turbine coupled to an ABB 73-MW synchronous generator converts steam to electricity. Process steam is delivered via steam turbine extraction to The Packaging Corporation of America – an adjacent paper mill – where it is used to help produce paper products responsibly and cost effectively. The facility generates about 510,000 megawatt-hours (MWh) of electricity for Michigan customers. TES Filer City Station’s electric output is sold pursuant to a long-term power purchase agreement to Consumers Energy. TES Filer City Station began commercial operation in 1990.
PLEASE NOTE: You must upload your resume for further consideration for this opportunity.
The Mechanic is an entry-level position responsible for installing, maintaining, and repairing mechanical systems and equipment in the plant within applicable standards and codes; maintaining and repairing heavy mobile equipment, and providing plant operations support as needed.
Your duties will include:
- Performs preventative maintenance duties such as cleaning, oiling, and lubricating equipment, as assigned.
- Troubleshoots and isolates mechanical problems; implements corrective actions, as appropriate.
- Reads and interprets plans, diagrams and specifications.
- Plans and lays out work in accordance with applicable standards and codes.
- Provides estimates of time and material required; requisition tools and supplies in accordance with established procedures.
- Prepares and maintains documentation and reports, as required.
- Performs basic carpentry work and small engine repair, as required.
- Recommends changes to improve efficiency and/or quality of mechanical operations, as appropriate.
- Maintains a safe work environment through job planning and identification and correction of hazards and adherence to plant safety rules and procedures.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Insures adherence to the Preventative Maintenance Malfunction Abatement Plan.
- Qualifies as a plant operator; and, provides operational support on shift, as needed.
- Performs other comparable and related duties, as assigned.
This position reports to the Maintenance Supervisor.
- High School diploma OR GED.
- A minimum of 3 years as a mechanic in an energy industry or equivalent experience in a maintenance/repair related field.
- Demonstrates ability to read and understand mechanical piping drawings, equipment assembly drawings, technical manuals, job-related policies and procedures.
- Possesses rudimentary knowledge of equipment repair and non-code welding skills.
- Demonstrates skill to perform basic welding and cutting.
- Within 90 days of hire, must be willing to complete all required training manuals, and demonstrate the ability to weld all required welding methods.
Knowledge, skills or abilities that may set you apart from others:
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and take direction from others.
- Ability to use analytical judgment to plan and perform diversified work, making decisions within prescribed limitations.
- Previous experience with welding, pumps, valves and conveyors.
Hours and Travel
Ability to work shift work, overtime as needed, essentially any schedule including nights weekends, and holidays.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
Occasionally (O) Frequently (F) Constantly (C)
0-33% AWD 33-66% AWD 67% – 100% AWD
(AWD = Average Work Day)
Using the above chart, identify with each activity below, the frequency that the activity takes place in the average work day.
- Climbing: Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized. (C)
- Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at waist. Requires full use of lower extremities and back muscles. (C)
- Kneeling: Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on one knee or both knees. (C)
- Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine. (C)
- Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. (C)
- Sitting: Sitting upright in the work area to perform duties. (O)
- Crawling: Positioning the body so that weight is evenly distributed on both hands and knees on a flat surface. (O)
- Standing: Particularly for sustained periods of time. (C)
- Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances. (C)
- Pushing: Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward. (F)
- Pulling: Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion. (F)
- Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. Requires substantial use of the upper extremities and back muscles. (F)
- Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm as in handling. (C)
- Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. (C)
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. (C)
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds with no less than a 40 dB loss at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz and 2000 Hz with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make fine discriminations in sound, such as when making fine adjustments on machined parts. (C)
- Heavy Work – Exerting up to 70 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. The recommended maximum weight for employees to lift without the aid of other employees or a lifting device is 35 pounds.
- Visual Acuity Requirements including Color, Depth Perception, & Field of Vision.
- Machine Operator (including inspection) – This is a minimum standard for use with those whose work deals largely with visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, operation of machines (including inspection), using measurement devices, assembly or fabrication of parts at distances close to the eyes.
CONDITIONS THE WORKER WILL BE SUBJECT TO IN THIS POSITION
The worker is subject to:
- Inside environmental conditions: Protection from weather conditions, but not necessarily from temperature changes.
- The worker is required to wear personal protective equipment
- Outside environmental conditions: Minimal protection from weather conditions and temperature changes.
- Extreme heat: Temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour during a work shift.
- Extreme cold: Temperatures below 32 degrees for periods of more than one hour during a work shift.
- Noise: There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Hazards: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, and exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- Atmospheric conditions: One or more of the following conditions that may affect the respiratory system or the skin: Fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation.
- Oils: There is air and/or skin exposure to oils and other cutting fluids.
- Prolonged, irregular working hours.
MENTAL/EMOTIONAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
- Temperaments applying to this job include:
- Performing repetitive or short cycle work.
- Influencing people in their opinions, attitudes and judgements.
- Working alone or apart, in physical isolation from others.
- Attaining precise set limits, tolerances, and standards.
- Working under specific instructions.
- Dealing with people from multiple functions.
- Making judgments and decisions.
- Dealing with changing priorities.
- Giving direction to others without having formal authority.
- Working under pressure to meet specific deadlines.
- Able to handle sudden high levels of stress and physical activity.
- Dealing with unplanned schedule changes, call-ins and prolonged working hours.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION – PLEASE READ
- A review of this description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and requirements are essential job functions.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
- Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
- This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.
This Job opening is posted for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
Position will be filled at the appropriate salary grade based upon the skills, knowledge, and experience of the selected candidate.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.