Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to Michigan – Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan’s 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
Do you have what it takes to repair and maintain the second largest fleet in the state of Michigan? Your expertise will help keep the power on and allow our field operations to work safely and efficiently. Our Fleet Department is responsible for repairing and maintaining a diverse fleet from large bucket trucks to generators, backhoes, hybrid, and alternative fuel vehicles.
The Master Automotive & Equipment Mechanic, under directive supervision, performs mechanical work on vehicles and equipment at the highest skill level by such duties as:
Inspecting, diagnosing, adjusting and repairing such systems as hydraulic systems, air conditioning systems, hydraulic and pneumatic brake systems, carburetor and emission systems, automatic transmission systems, starting systems, charging systems, and electrical systems; Tuning engines which includes use of all types of analyzers; Diagnosing, adjusting and repairing front-end suspension systems; Diagnosing and repairing cylinder heads; Making minor repairs to booms, buckets, and vehicle and equipment bodies; Performing routine inspections of man lift and material lift aerial devices; Performing incidental acetylene welding, cutting, heating and brazing. Candidates may be required to work nights, weekends, holidays, or as the business needs necessitate. This may be related to storms and other business-related emergencies.
- 5 – 7 years’ experience as a master mechanic with hands on experience working with heavy machinery
- Individuals applying for this position must successfully pass a test for controlled substance and alcohol and may be subject to a background screen in accordance with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- Candidate must be able to obtain a Commercial Driver's License with a Hazardous Endorsement (CDL-X) within 89 days of hire.
Interested applicants must attach a resume with a detailed work history. Failure to attach a resume will result in automatic disqualification from the position.
- State of Michigan, Secretary of State | SOS – Mechanic Certification
- National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification
- Automotive Degree from Accredited School
- The individual shall exemplify safe work practices and comply with all of the company’s safety standards and procedures.
- He/she must utilize effective oral and written communication skills to effectively log plant status and interact with coworkers.
- Temperature conditions within the plant can fluctuate and can reach above 100 degrees; in addition, should they need to evaluate outdoor equipment, the individual will be exposed to outdoor temperatures that fluctuate with weather conditions.
Hours and Travel
- This position requires the individual to work a minimum of 40 hours per week in a 24/7 operation which can include irregular schedules, overtime, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Travel is minimal but may be required for training or other Company sponsored events.
- Operators must be willing to work additional hours as necessary.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl.
- The employee must be able to talk and hear.
- He/she must be able to traverse the power plant to inspect and operate all plant related equipment.
- The employee must meet vision requirements to include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the Master A/E Mechanic will encounter while performing the essential functions of this job:
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- The noise level varies from normal to loud depending on construction activity and plant mode of operation.