Job: Innovation/Prod Design/NPD
Primary Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Relocation Offered: Yes
Employment Status: Full-Time
Do you want to work for a company that gives you opportunities to grow in a collaborative environment? How about working for a manufacturer with a rich history and even brighter future? Armstrong World Industries began over 150 years ago as a small cork-cutting shop in Pittsburgh, PA. From that small business, we became the leader in ceiling, wall and suspension system solutions that contribute to better, more inspiring buildings that make a difference in the lives of people where they work, play, learn, heal and live. At Armstrong World Industries you’ll have the opportunity to make the most of your potential. Come build your future with us!
AWI is currently seeking a Manager, Technical Process Development to join our Global Innovation and Product Design team at our headquarters in Lancaster, PA. The Manager, Technical Process Development will mainly be accountable for forming strong relationships with both existing mineral fiber plants as well as the Architectural Specialties operations.
Additionally, the Manager, Technical Process Development will be responsible for effectively facilitating the idea generation process for new process improvements and support the transfer of science-based improvements to manufacturing operations.
Responsibilities of the Manager, Technical Process Development:
Safety & Environmental
- Ensure compliance to company and regulatory standards
- Develop mindset and culture of zero injuries based on risk assessment
- Achieve high standards of 5S & housekeeping to minimize risks & maximize performance
- Sustain environmental compliance
Operating Plan – Development and Execution
- Actively participate in leadership and group staff meetings to ensure collaboration
- Drive effective and disciplined use of project management and related sub-processes
- Collaborate manufacturing and third party vendors and suppliers to provide new technology solutions
- Partner between Manufacturing and Innovation and routinely provide status reports
- Manage portfolio of new process and product development opportunities; act as coach and mentor to teams as they navigate research and development pipeline
- Build relationships across all functions and gain sponsors for new processes and product ideas
- Create, plan, and manage the TPD (Technical Process Development) budget, including travel & project expense as well as capital for product and process based innovations
- Lead TPD Group within Technology to support new process and product Innovations
- Identify and leverage emerging science and technology which is essential to achieve new and core business strategic and operational plans
- Develop well-defined strategies to support implementation teams
- Ensure all front-end activities for new process are in alignment with current and projected business strategies, targeted capabilities, and market needs
- Support determination of technical and economic feasibility of new process and product concepts and potential modifications to existing products
- Network both inside and outside of AWI to identify enabling technologies
Talent Management & Lean Leadership
- Develop high potential leaders and leadership teams
- Create high-quality performance management and talent development
- Lead and utilize LEAN/SIX SIGMA and AGILE principles to improve overall effectiveness of process development activities
- Champion Agile Project Management methodology and tools for appropriate projects
- Implement Lean Managing Systems – Gemba Walks, VSTs, Value Stream Mapping and Transformation, and Visual Management
- Apply Lean tools and methods to achieve results and develop a Lean culture
Required Qualifications and Education of the Manager, Technical Process Development:
- Bachelor’s degree in Science or Engineering, or other related
- 10+ years of experience within a science & engineering field associated with managing process and product development projects.
- 5+ years of direct personnel management experience
- Excellent project management and analytical skills: Demonstrable results within the field of process and product development.
- Strong facilitation skills and ability to motivate and inspire the team
- Experience with creating, planning, and managing budgets
- Strong knowledge of process improvement tools and techniques such as Lean, Six Sigma Greenbelt, and Blackbelt training.
Preferred Qualifications of the Manager, Technical Process Development:
- Masters or PhD
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies & tools
Why Armstrong World Industries?
Armstrong World Industries, Inc. (AWI) is a leader in the design and manufacture of innovative commercial and residential ceiling, wall and suspension system solutions. At home, at work, in healthcare facilities, classrooms, stores, or restaurants, Armstrong World Industries offers interior solutions that help to enhance comfort, save time, improve building efficiency and overall performance, and create beautiful spaces. We built our business on trust and integrity. It set us apart then, and it sets us apart now, along with our ability to collaborate with and innovate for the people we’re here to serve – our customers, our shareholders, our communities and our employees.
- Standard benefit package offerings: Medical, dental, prescription drugs, life insurance
- Long term disability coverage
- Vacation and sick time
- Product discount programs
- 401k Match
About the Location (Lancaster, PA):
Located in South Central Pennsylvania, Lancaster is ideally situated for easy access to major metropolitan cities such as Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC and New York City. Lancaster offers a vibrant arts and entertainment community with wonderful historic sites, B&Bs, museums, world class shopping, entertainment venues and restaurants.
Equal Opportunity Employer: AWI is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Veterans
Notice to Staffing Agencies, Placement Services, and Professional Recruiters
Armstrong World Industries, Inc. has an internal Staffing Department. Recruiters are hereby specifically directed NOT to contact AWI employees directly in an attempt to present candidates.
AWI will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to AWI, including unsolicited resumes sent to AWI via mail, email or in any form and/or method, including to AWI’s resume database will be considered AWI property.
AWI will not pay a fee to any Recruiter that does not have a signed AWI contract in place specific to the position for which the resume was submitted. Recruiting vendor agreements will only be valid if in writing and signed by AWI’s Corporate Talent Acquisition Manager or his or her designee.