LVNs must collaborate with other disciplines of the health care team to ensure the delivery of care across the continuum, providing timely, safe and quality care. Responsible for providing a safe, HIPAA compliant environment for the patient and the staff. Demonstrates competence and sensitivity in caring for multicultural patients/families by adapting the plan of care based on cultural needs identified. Demonstrates an ability to work in a multicultural team environment and is respectful of the cultural diversity of the workforce and the patients served. Participates in continuous quality improvement process. Demonstrates effective communication, interpersonal skills, organizational ability, knowledge of proper body mechanics, safety measures and infection control, ability to follow instructions, knowledge of section specific test information and instrumentation may be required.
Demonstrates competent knowledge, based on hospital policies, procedures and standards, in the following:
• Demonstrates an ability to organize and incorporate new routines, procedures and skills.
• Demonstrates skill in the use of equipment and devices pertinent to treatment, procedures and practices.
• Communicates changes in the patient's condition to the registered nurse and the physician directing the care of the patient.
• Follows procedure in the identification of patients prior to implementing any procedures, interventions, etc
• Provides appropriate information for all patient procedures and ensures patient/significant other understanding prior to start of procedure.
• Responds to emergency situations in a timeframe appropriate to the needs of the patient.
• Administers medications with the ability to assess the indication appropriate dosing and effects of the medication administered for the patient.
• Correctly collects, handles, and labels specimens utilizing Standard Precautions, as well as documenting in the patient record.
• Adheres to Infection Control policies and procedures, follows Standard Precautions and specific isolation precautions for the prevention and spread of blood borne pathogens and other communicable diseases
• Appropriately implements prescribed interventions to ensure pain management for the patient
• Recognizes that ethical/legal/medical dilemmas exist in the nursing practice and confers with the appropriate resource personnel when making ethical nursing decisions.
• Provides education with respect to the proper educational ability and level for the patient population. Incorporates available educational material into patient/significant other teaching and documents understanding in patient record.
• Communicates to physician nutritional needs/problems for the patient.
• Provides continuity of care through implementation/utilization of the Plan of Care for the patients
• Clinical Care: Ensure that quality patient care is delivered to all patients on a 24-hour basis, and the unit is maintained in accordance with professional and regulatory standards and the philosophy and goals of Hoag. Unit/Department Specific: Duties include performance of all medical back office functions including but not limited to:
• Collecting and documenting patient histories, vital signs, current medications, history of current illness, allergies.
• Equipment preparation and maintenance.
• Appointment scheduling, scheduling of diagnostic testing.
• Obtain insurance authorizations as necessary for diagnostic tests.
• Provide patients and caregivers with pre-procedure instructions.
• Assist physician in rendering treatment as necessary
• Must be able to assist front office staff in front office functions when necessary.
• Triages patient calls and reports patient status to physician.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Current LVN License from the State of California.
• BLS certification required.
• Minimum one (1) year of experience in an acute care facility
Skills or Other Qualifications
• Basic keyboarding skills at 35 WPM.
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
• Excellent communication skills; customer focused; excellent attention to detail; able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines; strong interpersonal skills; able to work in a team environment.
• Proven ability to interface with all customer levels (physician, Organization staff, insurance companies, patient and family members)
• Strong trouble-shooting and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrates effective communication, interpersonal skills, organizational ability, knowledge of proper body mechanics, safety measures and infection control, ability to follow instructions, knowledge of age of population served, and additional skills and knowledge of equipment may be required for hire into some patient care departments.
• Knowledge of registration and order entry systems.
• Knowledge of patient scheduling and insurance verification and authorization. Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word and Excel