CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the world’s best networking company by solving customers’ increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers’ trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.
The Hosting compute department is accountable for all platform support for CenturyLink managed hosting Clients, Comprising of Incident Management, Change Management, Request Fulfilment and interacting closely with Problem management.
The Lead Systems Engineer is responsible for supporting a global compute team delivering expert technical support to customers and internal teams delivering value to CenturyLink Clients. The Lead engineer will have focus on driving stability though complex customer solutions troubleshooting systems and network incidents though incident and problem management to provide the maximum availability delivering a positive Client relationship.
The role will be working a standard 40 hour week covering Wednesday to Sunday. The hours worked are a standard 8 hour day covering core hours between 08:00 and 16:00 GMT. On call support will be required to support the 24/7 operational team outside that of the core contracted hours.
- Creative problem-solving to identify the source of problems
- Create or update documentation including network diagrams, procedures, and policies to ensure consistent support of Client environments
- Through Client consultation, realize growth opportunities for production Client environments.
- Provide guidance to support tiers to assist in resolution of complex network, system and security incidents
- Provide and obtain timely updates to/from relevant parties (internal and external)
- Partner with global peers within the Problem Management Centre to reduce re-occurring incidents
- Provide consultative and escalation assistance to the Operations Centre during off hours as needed
- Review system and network configurations with Service Delivery to ensure successful implementation of services into production
- Perform incident trend analysis to promote a stable solution within the environment
- Identify and deliver opportunities of automation to support the global teams efficiency efforts
- Other duties as assigned
- Previous Operating Systems support experience in enterprise, IT or service provider environment
- Experience diagnosing complex issues through methodical troubleshooting using methods such as packet capture analysis (Wireshark, tcpdump, snoop, Sniffer Pro)
- Hands on experience including but not limited to:
- Systems OS such as Solaris, RHEL, Solaris
- Clustering technologies such as pacemaker, VCS
- Virtualisation solutions such as VMWare and associated products
- Cloud based solutions such as AWS, Azure and understanding of existing and new technologies
- Hardware and firmware exposure in virtual and physical environments
- Server Loadbalancer knowledge (F5, Cisco ACE, Foundry Server Iron etc.)
- Common web server support (Apache, etc)
Alternate Location: PL-Poznan-Poznan
Requisition #: 217818
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process for people with disabilities. If there is anything we can do to help you, please let us know
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, religion, colour, sex, age, disability or sexual orientation or any other status protected by local or national law. We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training. We participate in the A-Check Pre-employment Screening Program or the Electronic Employment Verification Program, depending on location.
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/