Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
A General Foreman is responsible for directing the operation of an area performing inspections, running repairs, modifications, and/or light overhauls for cars and/or locomotives in an operating Division. This operation includes, but is not limited to numbers of mechanics, laborers, and technicians using large and small production machinery and moderate amounts of material. A General Foreman may also manage local commuter, regional and State mechanical efforts.
• Manages equipment inspection, maintenance, and repair programs and provides diagnostic and troubleshooting expertise in order to increase equipment availability and reliability.
• Functions in primary leadership role for his/her shift while maintaining oversight responsibility to ensure proper communication of mechanical issues, safety issues, material issues, etc.
• Manages maintenance of rolling stock equipment in accordance with all Amtrak and regulatory requirements.
• Oversees the scheduling and execution of all work orders for assigned equipment including planned corrective and preventive maintenance.
• Reviews daily reports to ensure all inspection and work order results are properly recorded in WMS with attention to conditions found, performance measurements taken/recorded, symptoms noted, and inspections completed and/or deferred.
• Monitors availability and reliability metrics and promptly evaluates problem areas.
• Participates in Maintenance Effectiveness Reviews essential to the Reliability Centered Maintenance program.
• Ensures foremen and mechanical craft employees are properly trained in inspection, test, and maintenance procedures.
• Implements inspection and mechanical service related safety plans and programs.
• Associate’s degree or related field or equivalent combination of experience, education, and skills.
• Demonstrated experience working on machinery in an industrial, marine, railroad, or plant environment.
• Some leadership/management experience.
• Demonstrated experience in diagnosing and troubleshooting electrical and/or mechanical systems.
• Knowledge of accepted industry quality standards and the ISO quality procedure.
• Some knowledge and experience related to safety program methodology and its application.
• Solid leadership and decision making skills.
• Solid organizational and problem solving skills
• Proficient oral and written communication skills in combination to administer effective presentations.
• Ability to recognize opportunities for change designed to address chronic issues and concerns.
• Demonstrated analytical skills.
• PC skills including word processing, spreadsheets and presentation software.
• Knowledge of FRA, FDA, AAR and OSHA Standards and Regulations.
• Knowledgeable in railway and rail transit rolling stock.
• Some supervisory experience in an operating environment.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
• Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
This position is a tiered position. Incumbents will have a position level assigned based on their skills and experience, and in alignment with position development plans. Position placement is at Amtrak’s sole and absolute discretion.
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Mechanical || Engineering & Mechanical