Job Req ID: 581461
Position Number: 00145416
Employment Type: Full Time
Shift: Variable/On Call
Shift Details: M-F 8-4:30p
Standard Hours: 40.00
Department Name: Pharm Med Recovery
Location: Carolinas Medical Center
Our mission is to improve health, elevate hope and advance healing – for all. The name Atrium Health allows us to grow beyond our current walls and geographical borders to impact as many lives as possible and deliver solutions that help communities thrive. For more information, please visit atriumhealth.org/about-us.
Performs duties of moderate complexity, judgement, and scope in coordinating and managing all aspects related to insurance benefit information, authorization, billing and collections for all types of services. Will serve as a resource to patients and their families, clinical staff, physicians and insurance companies.
- Coordinates and manages the billing and collection functions for all payor types.
- Notifies physician offices of contract periods, identifies and monitors accounts, determines correct reimbursement, bundles all bills for submittal to insurance companies, rebills claims as necessary, followings up on claim status, performs regular account maintenance, collects and distributes payments appropriately.
- Researches insurance benefits, options and potential patient financial needs and discusses findings with patients and their families.
- Develops a financial plan with patients and their families.
- Works with patients and develops resolutions to potential patient financial out-of-pocket exposure and helps them plan and overcome these obstacles.
- Obtains all necessary payer authorizations.
- Verifies and monitors coverage and other medical benefits and acquires necessary referrals and authorizations.
- Ensures that all payor approvals are current at all times.
Mobility required. Majority of the day spent sitting. Must be able to lift up to 5 lbs of patient charts. Work requires stretching to file or retrieve charts or manuals. Must be able to communicate with other groups and departments.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Bachelorï¿½s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field or 5 years of insurance related experience required. 1 to 2 years of reimbursement experience in a hospital setting is preferred. Must be able to work independently and possess strong organizational, time management and interpersonal skills and be able to prepare and analyze financial reports. Must be proficient with medical terminology and be familiar with clinical considerations as these relate to transplant cases. Extensive analytical skills and focus on details. Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Microsoft Excel, Word, STAR and IDX experience required. Databases, hospital registration, billing and clinical systems preferred.
At Atrium Health, our patients, communities and teammates are at the center of everything we do. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion allows us to deliver care that is superior in quality and compassion across our network of more than 900 care locations.
As a leading, innovative health system, we promote an environment where differences are valued and integrated into our workforce. Our culture of inclusion and cultural competence allows us to achieve our goals and deliver the best possible experience to patients and the communities we serve.
Posting Notes: Not Applicable
Atrium Health is an EOE/AA Employer