What if you were given the opportunity and responsibility to make a difference? It is time to embrace your Infinite Possibilities. This is your opportunity to be part of International Paper, a Fortune 500 company and global leader in paper and packaging products. IP is known for our commitment to the environment and to cutting-edge technology. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, global opportunities and total rewards. When we say Infinite Possibilities, we mean it.
Posting Date: 7/31/20-8/14/20
Candidate Identified: No
Relocation Paid: No
*Position Level may vary based on experience*
The Fiber Quality (FQ) Technician is responsible for the safety, operation, cleaning, maintenance, calibration, and limited troubleshooting of all chip and fiber fuel sampling and laboratory equipment, and management of paper and electronic data records. Position interacts with Vicksburg Fiber Supply personnel and Regional Fiber Quality Staff on a daily basis. The West Region FQ Manager will provide oversight and direction for the FQ Technician.
Collect and analyze own make, digester feed, and purchased chip samples for quality
Collect own make, digester feed, and purchased chip samples manually or from automatic chip samplers at various locations within the mill woodyard. Sample collection includes, picking up samples collected by mill personnel and manual collection of samples. Manual sample collection will also involve occasional visits to a limited number of external chip / fiber fuel supplier vendor locations.
- Become proficient with chip quality sampling and testing requirements, methods, and procedures
- Ensure a sufficient number of chip samples are collected and analyzed to meet minimum numbers by source
- Analyze own make, digester feed, and purchased chips for quality including, but not limited to, chip thickness, chip moisture content, and bark content. The FQ Technician will also be trained to visually inspect chips for other attributes such as length and incomplete chip fracturing. Report such findings to Facility Specialist and Regional Fiber Quality personnel.
- Analyze fiber fuel samples for quality
- Analyze own make bark and fiber fuel samples from mill woodyard
- Become proficient with bark and fiber fuel quality testing requirements, methods, and procedures
- Ensure a sufficient number of bark samples are collected and analyzed to meet minimum numbers by source
- Conduct moisture content determination, and testing for contaminants and particle size as requested. Prepare and package sub-samples for Ash Content and Btu determination that is conducted at the Bogalusa mill.
- Maintain written and electronic records of measurements, analyzes and reports chip and fiber fuel measurements
- Ensures sample collection and handling integrity, adherence to processing methods, reviews sample data for outliers, reviews sample data and edits as needed to ensure results are correctly entered into data-bases
- Communicates problems and improvement recommendations to Facility Specialist and Regional Fiber Quality personnel
- Interprets quantitative chip sample data and evaluates physical characteristics of chips to identify quality problems
- Provides immediate feedback to Facility Specialist for own-make, purchased chip, and fiber fuel quality concerns
Calibrates and maintains chip sampling, chip and fiber fuel quality measuring/testing equipment, and maintains service records
- Calibrate and maintain chip classifier according to manufacturer’s specifications. Keep up to date service records of all work performed on chip classifier. Communicate directly with Region Fiber Quality personnel and manufacturer as directed to correct maintenance issues.
- Assist with maintenance of chip sampler(s). Keep up to date service records of all work performed on sampler(s). Communicate directly with Region Fiber Quality personnel and manufacturer as directed to correct maintenance issues.
- Keep computer files up to date in both chip classifier and chip sampler systems
- Maintain chip and fiber fuel moisture oven. Keep up to date service records of all work performed on oven. Communicate directly with Region Fiber Quality personnel and manufacturer as directed to correct maintenance issues.
- Maintain Fiber Fuel grinder, and maintain up to date service records. Communicate directly with Region Fiber Quality personnel and manufacturer as directed to correct maintenance issues.
- Conduct limited troubleshooting of chip quality and fiber fuel sampling measuring and testing equipment.
- Complete repairs commensurate with capability, and communicate problems and diagnostic findings to Region Fiber Quality staff and/or Facility Specialist
- Participate in and support special project work and assignments
- Assist with sample collection equipment and device validation
- Assist with mass balance surveys
- Assist Region Fiber Quality staff with special project work and studies
Required Skill Set – Essentials
- Commitment to work safely above all else
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Capable of independent self-directed work
- Can effectively manage time and multiple tasks simultaneously
- Comfortable working with mechanical / electronic testing equipment and around woodyard equipment
- Excellent listening skills
- Detail oriented and ability to follow written instructions and procedure without error
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Outlook and Excel software
- Position requires a vehicle for both on and off highway use, supplied and maintained by Fiber Supply.
- Vehicle will be used daily for in-mill transportation only to collect chip and fiber fuel samples
- Travel will also involve periodic visits to a limited number of external chip supplier vendor locations accompanied with Specialist and/or Region Fiber Quality.
Environment, Work Schedule & Hours
- Vicksburg FQ Laboratory is located inside the Vicksburg Mill
- Lab Operator will operate laboratory alone 100% of the time
- The Lab Operator will need to be capable of lifting sampling devices of 25 pounds.
- Restrooms are located upstairs in the purchase chip control room
- Standard work week is Monday – Friday 8 hours / day; occasional weekend work may be required
- Occasional overtime may be required
Job Training & Oversight
- International Paper FQ personnel will provide training on safe operating procedures for all laboratory and sample collection equipment, procedures for operation, cleaning, basic maintenance and calibration of all lab equipment and manual / electronic record keeping
- International Paper FQ personnel will provide coaching and follow-up as needed to ensure FQ Technician is competent in all aspects of job duties. A part of the follow-up process will involve lab audits
- International Paper’s West Region FQ Manager and the VB Facility Specialist will be the primary contacts.
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.