Requisition No: 233541
Agency: Department of Corrections
Working Title: FDC-VOCATIONAL INSTRUCTOR III – F/C (MAINTENANCE MECHANIC) – 70018888 – RECEPTION AND MEDICAL CENTER
Position Number: 70018888
Posting Closing Date: 09/30/2020
****OPEN COMPETITIVE ADVERTISEMENT****
Please call (386) 963-6836 if you have questions about this advertisement
Maintenance Mechanic F/C – 70018888
This advertisement is for a Career Service position located at Reception and Medical Center in the Maintenance Unit.
SALARY WILL BE DETERMINED IN ACCORDANCE WITH CURRENT PAY POLICY.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This working position is responsible for general maintenance and repair of plumbing, electrical, cabinetry/carpentry, masonry, welding, drywall, roofing, and associated systems necessary to operate a major institution. This position will also provide on the job training to those inmates he/she supervises in the trades associated with the referenced systems. This position is responsible for reading all blueprints related to tasks assigned. Other duties may include the following:
- Performs general maintenance and repair of plumbing, electrical, cabinetry/carpentry, masonry, welding, drywall, roofing, and associated systems.
- Supervises and provides on the job training to those inmates he/she supervises in the trades associated with the referenced systems.
- Will follow approved methods and procedures, provisions of all required local, state or federal codes, tool, safety and established security procedures.
- Performs Maintenance and Construction activities as directed by the Maintenance and Construction Superintendent.
- Plans to complete assigned activities, organizes and schedules work to be performed and requisitions necessary supplies to ensure completion of tasks in a timely manner and adheres to the Maintenance and Construction Policy and Procedures.
- Prepares reports of progress and performance for assigned inmates for the use by the inmate’s classifications team in measuring and determining the rehabilitative progress of the assigned inmate consistent with motivation needs and the development of a positive approach to rehabilitation efforts.
- Maintains custody and control of inmates assigned under the supervision of the position in accordance with accountability requirements for inmates outlined in the operational procedures.
- May require a valid driver’s license in order to perform specific function that may be required for the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITIES (KSAs):
- Ability to work in a training capacity with people in individual and group settings.
- Ability to collect, record and evaluate data relating to the training of individuals.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records and other instructional materials.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to speak clearly and correctly to individuals and groups.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to understand and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures relating to vocational instruction.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- A high school diploma or its equivalent and at least one (1) year of experience in one of the following trades: plumbing, carpentry, welding, drywall, roofing, or food service equipment repair OR four or more years of general maintenance experience (College or vocational/technical training in one of the above listed trades can substitute for the required experience.)
- A Valid Class E Driver’s License
Support of knowledge, skills, and abilities should be demonstrated on the application, in the education, in the work experience, in the work sample, in the interview and/or during reference checks.
If you are interested in this position and meet the above indicated qualification and have the desired education, knowledge and experience, please submit a State of Florida Application and resume through the People First system. If you experience problems applying on-line, please call the People First Service Center at 1-877-562-7287.
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the closing date.
Successful applicant must pass a background screening and fingerprinting.
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.