Requisition No: 106861
Agency: Environmental Protection
Working Title: ENGINEERING SPECIALIST I – 37010755
Position Number: 37010755
Salary: $34,501.48 – $36,000.00
Posting Closing Date: 09/23/2020
Department of Environmental Protection
Advertisement – Open Competitive Career Service Opportunity
Engineering Specialist I – Position No. 37010755
The Division of Water Resource Management is accepting applications for a full-time Career Service Engineering Specialist I responsible for conducting onsite pretreatment audits and inspections. This position also assists in the development of rules, policies, and implementation of the program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position performs engineering work in the Wastewater Management Program under the direction of the Permitting and Field Services Environmental Administrator to implement the State's Pretreatment Program in accordance with Chapter 62-625, F.A.C., and 40 CFR Part 403. This position:
- Conduct pretreatment compliance inspections and pretreatment program audits and other site inspections assigned to the program. Participates in on-site inspections of industrial users. With supervision, provides technical review of pretreatment program submissions (including plans of study, reports, and other deliverables) to verify compliance with Chapter 62-625, F.A.C.
- With supervision, provides response to inquiries and technical assistance to developing and approved pretreatment programs. Provides technical assistance to local governments and industries on wastewater issues related to pretreatment.
- Assists with technical reviews of industrial pretreatment program development or modification requests submitted to the Department in accordance with Chapter 62-625, F.A.C., and makes recommendations for approval or disapproval.
- Tracks compliance status of developing and approved programs and assists management in the preparation of enforcement actions for noncompliance with pretreatment rules, requirements and regulations.
- Evaluates current rules, policies and the Florida Guidance Manual and recommends modifications as needed. Assists in any necessary rulemaking and policy-making activities. With supervision, provides rule interpretations. Assists in working with the U.S. EPA to assure consistency with federal rules and policies.
- Assists in training activities related to the pretreatment program, including making presentations and developing training modules.
- Updates DEP's pretreatment tracking systems, permit application system and EPA's compliance data management system.
- Assists in coordinating pretreatment program activities with local governments and DEP District offices.
- Reviews pretreatment and reuse annual reports and draft comment letters as necessary.
- Contacts developing and approved pretreatment programs to ensure deliverables are submitted in a timely manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Travel is required in the performance of assigned duties.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's):
- Knowledge of the concepts, terminology, principles, and analytical techniques of engineering.
- Knowledge of software packages for the generation of documents; spreadsheets and information management.
- Ability to understand and apply applicable state and federal rules, regulations, legislation, policies, and procedures relating to wastewater management.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations related to wastewater management and industrial pretreatment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and complete work assignments.
- Ability to analyze, interpret and apply engineering and economic data.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to interpret and apply rules and regulations.
- Ability to use computer systems for data entry and retrieval.
- Ability to conduct site inspections.
- Ability to travel outside Tallahassee and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Access database management system.
- Knowledge of conduction wastewater inspections.
- Knowledge of wastewater rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of the operation of wastewater treatment facilities.
- A 4-year degree from an accredited college or university with a major in engineering, environmental science or one of the natural sciences.
- A valid driver’s license.
Abel Agosto, Environmental Administrator
Permitting and Field Services
Wastewater Management Program
Phone: (850) 245-8603
DEP offers an excellent array of benefits, including:
- Health insurance for individual or family (HMO and PPO options with premiums starting as low as $50 per month)
- Life insurance
- Dental, vision and supplemental insurance
- Retirement benefits
- Vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Opportunities for career advancement
- Tuition waiver for state university and Florida College System courses
- Training opportunities
- Tax deferred medical and child care reimbursement accounts
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.