With over 80 years as an industrial technology leader, Kennametal Inc. delivers productivity to customers through materials science, tooling and wear-resistant solutions. Customers across aerospace, earthworks, energy, general engineering and transportation turn to Kennametal to help them manufacture with precision and efficiency. Every day approximately 10,000 employees are helping customers in more than 60 countries stay competitive. Kennametal generated nearly $2.4 billion in revenues in fiscal 2019. Learn more at www.kennametal.com. Follow @Kennametal: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Manufacturing engineers work to support insert manufacturing operations, enabling production performance that is viable in terms of cost, quality, and delivery, while meeting industrial health, safety, and environmental standards.
The scope of responsibilities for manufacturing engineering includes the following areas of plant operation: press tool manufacturing, pressing, sintering, inspection, grinding, machining, edge preparation, polishing, surface preparation including washing and blasting, CVD coating, PVD coating, identification and packaging.
This position works to support North American insert manufacturing and will to identify opportunities and improve processes through the application of new equipment and systems, improved programming techniques, process evaluation/improvements, material handling, and other engineering related areas.
- Design manufacturing devices, including tooling, fixtures, and gauges, using NX
- Write and optimize CNC programs utilizing CAM
- Develop and/or transition new processes to manufacturing
- Implement and sustain process improvements
- Develop project plans and budgets, team selection, assign activities, conduct progress reviews, launch corrective actions, assure all EHS guidelines and requirements are met and report progress to plant management
- Prepare procedures and other manufacturing documentation
- Provide on-site assistance for trouble-shooting, quality improvements, capability issues, productivity improvements and capital purchases
- Perform analysis of a complex nature and develop recommendations in support of achieving business objectives
- Prepare progress, status and forecast reports on multiple key aspects of the assigned area of responsibility
- Work with purchasing and outside vendors to obtain necessary capital equipment. Develop the preparation of functional specifications and evaluates alternatives (attending tool shows, seminars, and various training sessions is required to keep up with state-of-the-art developments)
- May oversee work of Technical/Professional or Admin/Support type roles
- Develop, improve, and standardize manufacturing processes, including writing and publishing corresponding work instructions and control plans
- Evaluate product designs for manufacturability as a member of the new products review team
- Evaluate and implement new equipment and upgrades, including making necessary changes to the plant layout
- Establish item routings and bill of materials using SAP and ECTR
- 2 to 3+ years’ relevant industry experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- CNC Controls/Programming strongly preferred
- Must be able to travel up to 20% domestic and international
- Must be authorized to work in the US.
Equal Opportunity Employer