Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Position leads and advances Engineering Department efforts by providing professional oversight of Equipment Operators and Repairmen for all aspects of surfacing operations as well as working with Division and Equipment managers in implementing the overall Division surfacing effort. Responsible for the development of a comprehensive surfacing strategy for the Sub-Division maintenance programs in the NEC, Hudson, Central Divisions. Coaches and mentors Operators and Repairmen of M/W work equipment including but not limited to surfacing related equipment. Ensures that Operators and Repairmen are familiar with preventative maintenance of assigned heavy off-track equipment and roadway machinery. Manages and implements best practices in safety, quality and production within a defined budget. Consistently seeks to advance work processes to increase production, identifying opportunities to achieve cost savings. Ensures compliance with all Federal and Amtrak rules and regulations. Develops, coaches and mentors Operators and Repairmen to promote safe operating practices and procedures. Builds solid relationships with key Division and Equipment management and strives to align work processes with other Amtrak departments.
• Primarily responsible for coaching and mentoring of Engineering employees on the operation and repair of M/W roadway equipment, focusing on, but not limited to, surfacing operations.
• Work with Division managers to successfully implement the Engineering Department’s surfacing efforts by integration of a comprehensive Track surfacing strategy at the Division level.
• Work with Division, Equipment and Logistics management to ensure that all components of a successful track surfacing program are in place including qualified operators and repairmen, equipment and materials.
• Recommend new equipment acquisitions in order to maintain currency with equipment technology updates; coach operators and repairmen in existing and new technology.
• In conjunction with Division and Equipment management develops annual overhaul program for equipment employed in Division surfacing programs.
• Liaison with factory representatives for additional training as required.
• Solve work related problems, teach troubleshooting, make decisions and provide instructions to employees.
• Monitor reports, identify problem areas and provide training as necessary, or develop solutions as required, to address specific problems related to Division surfacing efforts.
• Responsible for ensuring that assigned equipment is safe to operate, load tested and complies with Federal Safety Standards. Outfit equipment with necessary apparatus to ensure the safety of the public, employees, and equipment.
• Work with Amtrak Training Department to augment training and mentoring operators and repairmen, ensuring assigned personnel are qualified to operate and maintain the equipment to which they are assigned.
• Performance measurements to be joint with Equipment and Division management on safety, equipment reliability, feet surfaced and quality of surfacing as measured by a reduction of in-track defects as well as insulated joint failures and switch operating rod adjustments.
• High School diploma/GED required.
• More than 5 years of supervisory experience required in production rail operations, equipment (hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics) or equivalent fields in the military, as well as operation of surfacing equipment.
• Demonstrated supervisory experience
• Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Office applications
• Extensive experience in the operation of surfacing equipment used by Amtrak, including Jackson and Plasser machines
• Extensive knowledge of track geometry and surfacing operations as well as planning operations
• Knowledgeable of complex M/W roadway equipment hydraulics, electronics and pneumatic systems as they pertain to M/W roadway equipment
• Excellent organizational skills
• Employee training experience
• Planning, scheduling and management of projects
• Work hours may vary in length and schedule including a non-standard workweek and night operations
• Experience in managing programs in an operating environment.
• Demonstrated experience in work and asset management applications, preferably IBM’s Maximo or equivalent
• Extensive knowledge of schematics and logic prints and mechanical concepts
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Travel Requirements:Up to 50%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering