LOC_MAIN-Main Hospital Req ID: 78883
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
Thank you for your interest in the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the recruitment process for this position has been placed ON HOLD. If you would still like to be considered for the role, you may apply to this position. When the status of the position returns to active, and if your resume is selected for a department interview, you will be notified. Thank you for considering CHOP. Our appreciation is sincere, knowing your talent is very valued.
Provides direct and indirect care duties under the guidance and direction of the registered nurse and the medical command physician. Performs a variety of invasive and non-invasive technical skills and specialized patient care procedures as well as other duties to support the operations for a 24-hour Emergency Transport Service.
- Performs each of the following duties under the direction and supervision of the Intake Nurse and the Medical Command Physician.
- Obtains and evaluates pre-transport patient information.
- Performs patient assessment and prioritizes care based on assessment.
- Continuously reassesses patient and performs advanced role skills according to standard protocols or on line physician direction.
- Distinguishes between normal and abnormal findings, and recognizes clinical deterioration.
- Documents patient care, vital signs, weights and allergies as specified by department and hospital guidelines. Communicates all pertinent patient information in both written and verbal form in an organized and timely manner.
- Maintains proficiency in the following skills:
- Advanced airway management and endotracheal intubation
- Tracheostomy changes and replacement
- Peripheral IV insertion and fluid administration
- Intraosseous needle placement
- Needle thoracentesis
- Spine immobilization and splinting
- OG/NG placement
- Assists with respiratory care procedures.
- Nebulizer treatments
- Administers oxygen as ordered/needed
- Provides 1:1 observation
- Performs patient monitoring on transport patients.
- Place on monitor
- Troubleshoots monitor
- Performs EKGs as ordered
- Identifies abnormalities (apnea, bradycardia, tachycardia, asystole), notifies RN/MCP and takes emergency action
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
- Maintains proficiency with transport and patient care equipment including, but not limited to, monitors, infusion pumps, external pacer, defibrillator, and transport ventilators.
- Administers and monitors medications and IV fluids as outlined by transport service policies and procedures within scope of practice.
- Provides technical expertise with telephones and radios to ensure effective communication between transport team members and the medical command physician.
- Performs with transport, positioning, immobilization, lifting, transfer, and turning of patients.
- Assists with obtaining laboratory specimens.
- Performs bladder catheterization per CHOP procedure
- Performs venipuncture/phlebotomy according to CHOP standards
- Performs Point of Care Testing including blood glucose, pH and I-Stat Testing
- Promotes family centered care in the transport environment.
- Performs daily checklists in a timely manner correcting quality issues or following up on maintenance issues per department policy.
- Supports the maintenance of established supply levels.
- Participates in Professional Practice Model.
- Participates in precepting new staff as well as with the education and training of students in the ED.
- Provide staffing in the Transport Communications Center as needed.
- Complies with all CHOP and Transport Team policies and procedures.
- Maintains transport equipment readiness, including cleanliness, equipment and supplies.
- Actively participates in patient review and performance improvement projects.
- Participates in the transport data collection.
- Assists in marketing and public relation events.
- Assumes self-directed role during low periods of activity.
- Attends all required staff meetings and educational activities.
- Recognizes own limitations and seeks appropriate resources for continued professional development.
- Provides for own development and the development of the staff by attending and conducting educational activities.
- Serves as a contributing member of transport/hospital committees.
- Independently maintains required certifications.
- Must stay current with important communication. Frequent review of email and other forms of communication is necessary.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
PALS – PALS
EMT – Emergency Medical Technician
National Registry Paramedic required
NRP – 6 months
ACLS – 6 months
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: High School/GED. According to the CMS (Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services) a copy of diploma or transcript is required as proof of academic achievement for all non-laboratory personnel performing non-waived POC testing.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
- 2-3 years previous paramedic experience.
- A wide variety of clinical experience.
Additional Technical Requirements
Ability to perform clinical technical tasks, ability to communicate effectively with people of all ages.
Basic knowledge of growth and development.
- New hires will be given training, but must evidence these abilities by the end of probation to be retained.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146