This position can be filled in Houston, TX; Beaumont, TX; New Orleans, LA; Jackson, MS; or Little Rock, AR
- The Data Engineer will help develop and support the overall enterprise analytics initiative with a primary focus on improving the data integration of current utility systems or record (data lake creation) as well as ensuring the approach adopted is agile enough to ingest additional data streams such as smart grid technologies, distributed energy resources (DERs) and customer channel information as they become available.
- The Data Engineer will understand the strengths and limitations of various data storing, data transformation and data distribution mechanisms and help identify the appropriate data sources, manipulation tools and techniques (including data enrichment/automation) for a particular analytics use case as a function of data quality (including availability) and work collaboratively with data scientists and business units to help solve their analytical needs.
- The Data Engineer will also assist with the over-arching enterprise goal to create various layers of data accessibility with a specific focus on an agile, secure and reliable data collection and distribution strategy that is driven by business unit needs, analytical solution requirements and human capital considerations.
- Analysis performed by the position will be shared within Entergy to support the various initiatives underway that have an analytical need which will ultimately impact Entergy’s generation assets, load resources, customer view, and product and services offered to the customer.
- Develop, manage and deploy best in practice data collection, data governance, storage and manipulation techniques (extract, transform and load) that ultimately enable business units to unlock additional value from company-held data.
- Be a champion for Entergy’s Analytics efforts both inside and outside of the organization, promoting collaboration and communication through business unit driven use cases whilst building the Entergy brand in the analytics space.
- Represent Entergy on various industry forums such as UAI, EPRI, EEI, etc.,. and assist with developing and maintaining the internal POV on data quality, manipulation and presentment options.
- Be a thought-leader at Entergy for solving data quality/availability issues and work with the data scientists and citizen data scientists throughout Entergy various business units.
- B.S. Degree in a data-centric field (Economics, Computer Science or other science field), Information Systems, Information Processing or engineering.
- Preferred: M.S. in economics, mathematics, statistics, computer science, finance, engineering or other analytical field
Experience required of the position
- 2+ years of experience in data validation or complex data intensive analysis that utilizes (big) data manipulation and processing techniques (SQL, MySQL, Hadoop, Spark etc) to ensure (connected) datasets are of high quality and therefore fit for analysis/reporting purposes.
- Preferred: 1+ years’ experience working in the electric and/or gas utility sector
- Preferred: Programming experience in analytical tools such as SAS, SPSS, R, Python, Java, Matlab etc
Skills and abilities required of the position
- Strong background in developing and utilizing tools that prepare, extract and manipulate (big) data to create connected datasets (data lake) that can be utilized for analytics purposes.
- Strong communicator both at technical and strategic levels
- Experience discussing complex and new topics in a simple, easy-to-understand way
- Demonstrated teamwork skills
- Strong, demonstrated writing and presentation skills
Certificates, licenses, etc. required for the position
Primary Location: Texas–Woodlands
Job Function: Professional
FLSA Status: Professional
Relocation Option: Level II
Union description/code: NON BARGAINING UNIT-NBU
Number of Openings: 1
Req ID: 89415
Travel Percentage:Up to 25%
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Vets. Please click here to view the full statement.
As a provider of essential services, Entergy expects its employees to be available to work additional hours, to work in alternate locations, and/or to perform additional duties in connection with storms, outages, emergencies, or other situations as deemed necessary by the company. Exempt employees may not be paid overtime associated with such duties.