Commercial Lead Agronomist
Lead on-site farm operations for the Appareo agronomic research and learning farm. The individual in this role has a strong farming background, sound mechanical experience, and experience operating farm equipment. A collaborator and decision-maker, he/she will work with the Appareo product team and farmer customers as it relates to general agronomic research and product performance validation for Appareo and/or Precision AGCO products. Contribute, as part of a team of Agronomists, to educate the Appareo team, dealers, and farmer customers.
- Responsible for the safety, planning, and successful execution of the farm.
- Lead and manage a team of full-time professionals and student interns.
- Responsible for setting up and executing plot protocols for testing ag products in a way that meaningful data can be extracted and for general agronomic education (i.e., hybrid and population trials, nitrogen trials, etc.).
- Responsible for engaging and managing the relationships of plot participants at multiple test locations.
- Responsible for building key partnerships to seek donations that reduce input costs and equipment expenses.
- Work in partnership with the Product Develop team to characterize and demonstrate the advantages of new commercial and pre-commercial products.
- Collaborate with agronomy consultants to develop recommendations and best practices to assist in the development of new commercial products.
- Work with agronomy consultants to develop Sustainable and Regenerative Agriculture projects and practices at the farm.
- Schedule farm activities and deliveries.
- Assist with planning and presenting agronomic data and research findings via public speaking events during customer field days, industry days, dealer days, conferences, and meetings, as well as certain company events (domestically and internationally).
- Collaborate with agronomy consultants to create written and presentation deliverables of agronomic research.
- Provide agronomic expertise to educate other parts of the business on the benefits and applications of existing and new technologies.
- Collaborate with the R&AE team regarding design concepts based on detailed field testing.
- Solid understanding of agronomy and the latest agronomic practices.
- Skills and experience using the latest advances and innovations in Ag technology.
- Strong background in agronomy or related field with a solid understanding of agricultural products, including plant nutrition, biologicals, crop protection chemicals and adjuvants/surfactants.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience of laying out and collecting meaningful plots.
- Ability to review, analyze, and develop written materials and verbal presentations regarding agronomic data collected during plot trials.
- Strong communication and people skills.
- Strong presentation creation and delivery skills.
- Ability to independently seek practical solutions for agronomic problems.
- Interpersonal skills and team orientation
- Leadership skills, comfort level with change, and the ability to lead change
- Ability to travel
Experience / Education Required
- BS/MS in Agronomy and 7 to 10 years of experience of in-field agronomy
- Direct farming experience with crop production