Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
This position primarily is responsible for providing legal advice to Amtrak’s Administration and Finance divisions on various real estate and finance transactional matters. With regard to the Administration division, which includes the company’s Real Estate department, the work includes structuring, negotiating, and drafting agreements for real estate transactions such as acquisitions and dispositions, retail, office and train station leases, ground leases, development projects, licenses and easement agreements. The work supporting the Finance division relates to all aspects of Amtrak’s corporate finance structure and transactions, including commercial financings and refinancings, debt buy-outs, equipment and infrastructure financing, leveraged leasing, bond financing, tax matters and insurance and risk programs. Additionally, there will at times be work in other practice areas because attorneys in Amtrak Law provide legal support to business leaders throughout the Company including general transactional work for other departments.
- Provides legal advice and counsel to the Company’s business leaders regarding primarily real estate and finance matters and other practice areas as needed.
- Provides legal support for structuring, documenting and negotiating transactions that may occur in all locations in which Amtrak operates (46 states and the District of Columbia) including those pertaining to acquisitions and conveyances of real property, various types of real property leases, real property management, equipment leases, leveraged leases, commercial loan agreements, bond financing agreements, insurance agreements, credit card agreements as well as draft agreements for such transactions.
- Reviews the legal, business and regulatory environment for legal changes and new risks with regard to real estate development and construction.
- Reviews and interprets legislation and regulations and becomes fully knowledgeable about federal statutes and regulations applicable to Amtrak, including the Company’s capabilities and constraints.
- Provides oversight and financial management of outside counsel in accordance with Law department guidelines.
The successful candidate for this position must have:
- Juris Doctor from accredited law school and admission to and current good standing in a state or the District of Columbia bar.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience handling complex real estate and financial transactions in a corporate or large law firm environment.
- Demonstrated ability to handle caseload with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to apply legal and risk analysis to factual circumstances and exercise sound judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to both convey clear and accurate legal advice and be solution-oriented to assist clients in achieving business objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to apply and integrate organizational goals and objectives in work product and procedures.
- Demonstrated legal writing skill in describing key facts, analyzing legal issues and presenting advice clearly and succinctly.
- Ability to manage a large caseload of varying complexity and work efficiently and productively.
- Ability to advise business leaders on range of transactional matters and experience in doing so.
- Ability to draft and negotiate complex and diverse agreements.
- Ability to respond to the priorities of business leaders and external customers, and experience in doing so.
- Ability to think, plan, organize and implement strategically and experience in doing so.
- Ability to draft memoranda setting forth legal advice and experience in doing so.
- Ability to conduct training for business leaders on matters relating to transactions as well legal requirements of the company and experience in doing so.
- Experience working with railroads or transit authorities is preferred.
- A general understanding of public financing programs (e.g., RRIF) and transactions is helpful.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Legal || Corporate