Requisition ID: 113386
Career Group: Corporate Office Careers
Job Category: Merchandising TF Community & Field
Travel Requirements: 0 – 10%
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: British Columbia (CA-BC)
Location: Belmont Office
A proudly Canadian retail company, Sobeys began in 1907 as a small meat delivery business in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Today, Sobeys Inc. serves the food shopping needs of Canadians with approximately 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton’s Drug Stores as well as in-store pharmacies, liquor and more than 350 retail fuel locations.
Together with our 125,000 employees and franchise affiliates and a collective passion for delivering exceptional food and shopping experiences, Sobeys’ purpose is to improve the lives of Canadians by helping them Eat Better, Feel Better and Do Better.
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
Sobeys is full of exciting opportunities and we are always looking for bright new talent to join our team! We currently have an opportunity for four (4) Assistant Category Managers to join our Merchandising department. This position will be based out of Victoria, Calgary, Toronto, or Stellarton, depending on the successful candidate's location.
The Assistant Category Manager plays a critical role within the Merchandising department. This position works closely with the Category Manager to successfully deliver key merchandising strategies. Your strong analytical skills and ability to connect data and knowledge together to create intelligence make you an ideal fit for this role.
As a key liaison between suppliers, marketing, store planning, merchandising, supply chain, all other internal groups and stores you will help develop, execute and communicate key category growth strategies. If you are passionate about Retail, love the ability to see your work come to life in stores on a large scale, and want to progress your career, this could be a fantastic fit for you.
What you'll get to do in this fast paced role:
• Coordinate all internal merchandising communication needs and activities on assigned categories
• Responsible for all day-to-day communications with supplier partners
• Execute the quarterly ad plan as set out via the annual ad plan by respective Category Manager
• Facilitate product listings and execute the assortment decisions made the Category Manager
• Accountable to ensure the agreed to merchandising plans set by the Category Manager is communicated and executed for weekly, monthly and seasonal timeframes
• Respond to article resolutions that reach the merchandising team
• Act as liaison with related businesses including FreshCo, Convenience, Wholesale, etc. on tactical elements such as assortment awareness, supplier negotiations and costing communications
• Provide immediate and ad hoc analytical support for the Category Manager on day to day activities including IRI, BW and supplier provided reports
• Liaise with field merchandising, operations, etc. on opportunities specific to respective categories
• Secure any missing information required for the merchandising services team to execute tasks such as costing, deals, retails, report requirements, RSC’s deleted items, etc.
• Support the Category Manager in category planning and reset activities
• Research categories to be aware of news and opportunities
• Accountable for respective development plan to grow and develop as potential future Category Managers and/or leaders
• Support all activities to achieve targeted sales and margin targets for respective categories
• Accountable to make all appropriate decisions for respective categories when Category Manager is unable to due to vacation, travel, etc.
What your resume will include and demonstrate to us:
• Business Degree or Diploma preferred
• Strong analytical skills combined with the ability to provide recommendations
• Excellent communication skills with ability to work effectively as a business partner with all levels of team members
• A self starter who can be efficient and organized in a fast paced exciting environment
• A proven track record of time management and multi tasking within a deadline driven environment
• Ability to gather and translate information in business insights that can be easily understood and utilized by others
• Detail oriented with the ability to “think outside of the box”
• Excellent computer skills (MS Office); experience in SAP an asset
• Negotiation and influencing skills
• Retail Experience considered an asset
• Bilingualism would be considered an asset
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a leading Canadian company with a clear vision and focus. If you feel that this describes the kind of work you want to do, and you are excited about what Sobeys has to offer, then we look forward to reviewing your application. Please ensure that you take the time to ensure your profile shows us why you’re the most qualified applicant for the role.
Sobeys offers our employees many valuable benefits such as:
• Growing organization
• Competitive salary
• Ongoing Training & Development
• Opportunity for internal mobility to other departments and/or promotions (for employees who are strong performers)
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.