Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to Michigan – Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan’s 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
In this role, you will work within a team setting to develop, implement, and analyze data from research projects designed to assess customer satisfaction with and brand equity of Consumers Energy. As part of your responsibilities, you will also manage existing customer panels consisting of residential and small business customers. We’ll need you to be passionate about improving customer experiences and proficient in collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting information in a manner that provides actionable recommendation.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the residential and small business customer panels which includes working with clients to develop questionnaires, implementing surveys, and analyzing and reporting results.
- Oversee panel maintenance activities such as member recruiting, managing content on the panel web portal, responding to panel member requests, and non-survey related communication outreach with panel members.
- Analysis of J.D. Power and/or other syndicated data sources to provide insights that support marketing activities and customer experience improvement initiatives.
- Conduct message testing research to assess branding, promotional, and operational communications.
- Ability to design, implement, and analyze both quantitative and qualitative research studies to assist decision making by internal clients on various topics.
- Collect and analyze of information from various sources to inform business decisions and actions – market intelligence, competitive intelligence, and market research
- Conduct primary research to present discoveries and analysis as coherent recommendations to various company departments and senior leadership.
- Suggest and implement research sources/methods, and analytical techniques (both quantitative and qualitative).
- Design questionnaire and other data collection instruments.
- The ability to operate effectively as a member of a collaborative team within the Agile method of project management.
- B.A./B.S. or higher, preferably in the fields of Market Research, Marketing, Business, Social Science (with quantitative research background), Statistics, or other relevant discipline or equivalent experience
- Minimum of two years’ experience conducting research and analysis in a business environment.
These skills may set you apart:
- Proficient in using MicroSoft Office programs, Tableau, and SPSS or R analytical software.
The Business Support Job Family is utilized throughout the Company, including, but not limited to: accounting, auditing, budget preparation/analysis, business analysis, business negotiations, business transactions, customer service/relations, finance, cash management, materials management/supply chain, project management, records management, risk management, marketing, planning/scheduling and strategic planning.
Nature of Work
The essence of the work that is performed by the Business Support Job Family is a wide variety of business functions, at times involving very specific business disciplines.
At the lowest level in this job family, the work performed may tend to be of a routine and less complex nature where the work responsibilities can be proficiently performed after a relatively short training period. At this level the employee is more likely to be able to move to different functional areas of the Company.
At the highest levels in this job family the work performed will tend to be of a complex nature involving knowledge of various functional/specialized disciplines where the work responsibilities can only be proficiently performed after a relatively long training / experience-related time period. The work environment often includes dealing with risk and limiting exposure, i.e., credit limit liaison in power market or coordinating Sarbanes Oxley testing and compliance.
Leadership, management, facilitation and interaction with senior management will be markedly increased at the mid – highest levels of this job family while the need for direction and supervision will be markedly decreased. While problem solving and analysis will likely be required at all levels, recommendation and implementation becomes the norm at the highest levels and will often have a major bearing on the Company’s business. In addition, skills such as the ability to think on your feet, composure under fire and effective communication across all levels of the organization and with outside customers/clients become more finely honed at the higher levels.
Business Support Advisors and Consultants support the planning, business analysis, general management, budget preparations and analysis, negotiations, transactions, customer services and auditing of a wide variety of business functions and processes of specific operating and support areas throughout the Company. Duties and who this individual reports to will fluctuate between projects, departments and offices. Lead and/or assist with business analysis and support for the plans, reports, impacts, contracts, schedules, estimates, data collection, observations, and field investigations. Provide business analysis and support services with accuracy, on time and under budget. Use computer assisted applications software and equipment to prepare business analysis support documents. Understand and follow Company established standard procedures for file structure and standard procedures for projects. Become familiar with business and department and Company plans and related material for each project and be able to utilize the information appropriately. Assist in client contact and communication. Utilize effective communication skills to answer inquiries from coworkers, clients, or the public. Public involvement may include producing reports, graphics, presentations, and other visual material as well as occasional speaking or meeting with stakeholders. Attend internal and external meetings. Provide business analysis and support services in a legal and ethical manner. Individuals should exemplify safe work practices and follow the Company’s compliance standards. Regular attendance is expected.
Hours and Travel:
This position requires the individual work 40 hours per week with 90% of time spent in the office or specific field locations. This position may require the ability to travel between field locations. This position may include nights and weekend/holiday timeframes.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee will be using a computer and the associated keyboard and mouse. The employee must frequently lift and move up to ten pounds and occasionally lift and move up to fifty pounds. The recommended maximum weight for employees to lift without the aid of other employees or a lifting device is 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The noise level on the construction site is often loud.