Requisition ID: 221576
Startup & Operating Services helps maintain Bechtel’s position as a leader in the engineering and construction industry. We provide startup, commissioning, training, operations, and equipment maintenance for customers worldwide in a variety of heavy industries.
This is an entry-level Startup position with Bechtel Corporation, a Global leader in Engineering and Construction. Bechtel is predominately engaged in large, heavy industrial and infrastructure projects, with project sizes ranging from fifty million to several billion dollars. Bechtel’s projects are generally regarded as ‘Mega-Projects’ – changing the face of the planet and contributing positively to people across the world. Bechtel currently has more than 49,000 employees on a wide range of projects in nearly 60 countries. Bechtel prides itself on its diverse competencies in Construction, Engineering, Procurement, Project Management, Safety and Technology. Bechtel is a family owned company, and the value of family is carried through the company. Bechtel first began construction in 1898.
The total number of hires and start dates are subject to workload and business conditions. Locations will vary based on project needs, and may include Houston, Texas or Reston, Virginia, along with various project sites.
Bechtel’s Startup & Operating Services is strategically positioned for rapid deployment in the global market. The variety of startup and operating activities at Bechtel requires detail-oriented, flexible and motivated individuals with problem solving and troubleshooting skills, and the determination to meet individual and team challenges.
Working in Startup & Operation Services, you’ll use the state-of-the-art methods and resources to help continually improve our ability to test, commission, operate, and maintain facilities safely and cost effectively.
- Mechanical equipment setup and testing (pumps, turbines, and compressors)
- Electrical distribution system testing and energization
- Instrument installation, calibration, and testing
- Control system logic and operator interface validation and testing
- Startup system scoping, scheduling, work planning, and test procedure development
- Plan operation and equipment maintenance
- System/process tuning and performance demonstration
- Classified work on government projects
General Job Duties
Entry-level Startup Engineers perform assignments that develop startup work knowledge and abilities through the application of developed techniques, standards, guidelines, procedures, and criteria. Exercises limited, but increasing judgement, in performing assigned tasks. Using prescribed methods, performs specific and limited portions of the broader assignment of an experienced Startup Engineer. Performs startup assistance at the jobsite as directed. Receive technical and administrative supervision from a Startup Engineer or Startup Supervisor. May receive technical direction or on the job instructions from a Startup Engineer or Senior Startup Engineer.
Essential Job Duties
- Compiles, evaluates the correlates data for procedures and system files;
- Provides input to and/or reviews Startup test procedures;
- Provides input to and/or reviews Engineering, Operations, project deliverables, and assists in project design and model reviews as pertains to plan operability and Startup;
- Performs field consulting services as required;
- Directs component and system commissioning and testing under close supervision;
- Directs maintenance under close supervision
- Conducts walk-down of systems in conjunction with construction, prior to system turnover from construction, under close supervision;
- Performs calculations and simple preliminary analyses to evaluate test results;
- Assists in project design reviews and project operations manual preparation;
- Coordinates assigned work with other technical personnel as directed
- Bachelor’s degree in Marine Engineering, or Engineering (any discipline), from an accredited college or university;
- Familiarity with basic design of electrical and controls systems, mechanical process systems and process controls;
- Technical knowledge of startup, commissioning, operations, or maintenance;
- Basic knowledge of engineering systems and applications of startup and commissioning methods;
- Basic skills in oral and written communication and software packages;
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen, physical (if located at the construction site), and background check;
- Must have the right to work and remain in the United States
- Master’s degree in Marine Engineering, or Engineering (any discipline), from an accredited college or university;
- Familiarity with basic operations and/or maintenance practices associated with oil, gas, petrochemical, power or offshore facilities;
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Due to the nature of some positions, US citizenship maybe required;
- Ability to obtain a Department of Defense, Department of Energy, or project site clearance, depending on assignment;
- Must be willing to relocate to project or jobsite;
- Previous Startup internship or co-op
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.