Requisition Number: 47604
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Scope of Position:
The Workforce Development Consultant is responsible for designing, facilitating and managing ongoing training and skill development methods to both the manufacturing and leadership populations of the plant. Delivers assessments and works proactively with plant leadership to understand new training needs to accomplish plant objectives and measures. Enables individual opportunities through growth and development. The position will also be connected with trainers and operations for consistent training standards and validation.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Develops an understanding of processes and tasks to best equip manufacturing workforce and facilitate cross training strategy
- Manages training and onboarding attendance and coordination to ensue all hires are trained in appropriate areas prior to and after release to leadership
- Works with the various plant functions including but not limited to: operations, warehousing, and maintenance to recognize hiring, onboarding, and retention opportunities in regards to learning and development
- Builds effective relationships with employees that will maximize an employee’s likeliness to be successful; accomplished through strong manufacturing floor presence and ongoing engagement with front line supervisors and coordinators
- Serves as liaison with Operations and Human Resources relative to on-boarding and retaining talent.
- Periodically works with external vendors and Human Resources to update, modify, or implement new screening tools or practices relative to cognitive and physical capabilities
- Maintains timely, comprehensive and professional communication with staff, Corning operations in North Carolina, and internal customers
- Leverages various assessment practices like surveys, interviews with employees, focus groups, or consultation with managers, to regularly define opportunities for growth and development
- Attend meetings, seminars or participate in organizations to remain abreast of latest practices relative to manufacturing and employee development
- For the salaried workforce, partners with HRM to develop creative career broadening solutions in an environment with little transition (mobility)
- Design, plan, organize, or direct orientation and training programs for employees
- Optimize through redesign or refresh existing training materials, procedures, etc. to improve overall retention, safety behaviors, and application. Leverage new methods, and industry best practices
- Present information using a variety of instructional techniques or formats, such as role playing, simulations, team exercises, group discussions, videos, or lectures • Monitor training costs and prepare budgetary needs in-line with annual plans for plant (hourly & salaried)
- Work with procurement to develop statements of work and negotiate contracts with clients including desired training outcomes, fees, or expenses
- Develop or implement training programs that directly impact measures like: productivity, efficiency, recycling, lean principles, and environmental impacts
- Coordinate recruitment and placement of training program participants
- Develop or implement training programs related to efficiency, recycling, new technology receivership, or other issues with environmental impacts Projects:
- Development of Cross-Training Plan to address bottlenecks, resourcing and optimize overall staffing levels
- Redesign certification and re-certification model to maintain skills and competencies • Evaluate the trainer role and partner with HR and operations to create and implement sustainable process
- Create a process to summarize needs from annual salaried PD&R process to identify internal and external opportunities to address individual and organizational gaps
- Less than 5%. Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Monday – Friday, typically 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. Some flexibility required to accommodate interactions with manufacturing associates who work as 24×7 shift schedule (12-hour shifts).
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Minimum 4 years’ experience with organizational design or related training, development or operations experience
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written)
- Strong people skills. Able to interact at all levels within the organization • Demonstrated process development for repeatable results and sustained improvement
- Able to initiate and manage multiple tasks and projects as necessary • Self-starter
- Proven leadership skills
- Ability to develop strategies and vision to complement plant goals and objectives to achieve business needs through people
- Team development
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Able to maintain high levels of confidentiality and credibility
- Microsoft Office
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other legally protected status.