McBee, South Carolina, is home to A. O. Smith’s Engineering and Manufacturing teams for our Commercial Water Heaters and Boilers, a category where we are the industry leader with #1 market share. This plant has earned the Lloyd B. Smith President’s Safety Award more times than any other plant in our organization, and has received an Excellence in Safety Award from the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce for the fifth consecutive year.
We have an immediate need for Welder 1 for Second Shift in our McBee, SC facility. This position will be responsible for a number of job duties, including (but not limited to):
- Operate automatic welding units by joining two pieces of material using resistance welding techniques;
- Obtain parts and materials needed to complete tasks;
- Provide direction, training and/or guidance to new employees as required;
- Maintain the work area and equipment in a clean and organized condition and follow prescribed safety rules, quality requirements;
- Complete basic setup procedures and operate/change over equipment;
- Store and properly identify finished units;
- Fill out paperwork related to production activity as required;
- Report problems with quality, processes, equipment and materials to production lead or supervisor;
- Wear required PPE (steel-toed boots, safety glasses, ear plugs, and any additional PPE required for task being performed);
- Perform other duties and operate machinery as assigned by Supervisor/Team Leader.
- GMAW training classes required (30 hours);
- ASME certification within 90 days of start of assigned training;
- Ability to use visual/destructive testing to determine quality of resistance welds;
- Ability to understand and follow standard work and work instructions;
- Ability to perform repetitive work while paying attention to the detail and quality of work performed;
- Knowledge and skills to operate all required machines;
- Previous manufacturing experience strongly preferred;
- Willingness to learn new tasks, cross-train, rotate and work as a part of a team;
- Willingness to work overtime as required depending on business need;
- Ability to follow all safety and quality policies and procedures;
- Willingness to maintain a clean and organized work area;
- No active pre-discharge notices for any reason.