Auto req ID: 9041
Title: Vehicle Controls / Software Staff Design Engineer
Job Function: Engineering
Company: Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
At Harley-Davidson, we are building more than machines. It’s our passion and commitment to continue the evolution of this storied brand, and heighten the desirability of the Harley-Davidson experience. To keep building our legend and leading our industry through innovation, evolution, and emotion we need the best and brightest talent. We stand for the timeless pursuit of adventure. Freedom for the soul. Are you ready to join us?
The Harley-Davidson Motor Company Product Development Center (PDC) located in Wauwatosa, WI is home to the mantra – You dream it. We build it. Join our team as a Vehicle Controls / Software Staff Design Engineer.
As a Staff Vehicle Controls/Software Design Engineer you will lead the development and delivery of vehicle control software features that meet or exceed program level requirements and provide regulatory compliance. You will work with an experienced cross-functional engineering team to own the delivery of the software feature from initial algorithm selection, through implementation, and validation. And you will look beyond just the immediate project scope and requirements to guarantee that software features align with future technology trends and partner with advanced engineering team to prepare roadmaps to enhance current features as well as deliver new features and functions.
• Develop next-generation electrical system and component requirements through collaboration with key stakeholders, product benchmarking, and input from industry standards.
• Decompose vehicle-level requirements and use-cases into electrical component-level and software requirements.
• Lead physical and virtual feature evaluations to confirm confidence in software design prior to program milestones.
• Support the Reliability & Validation Engineer to ensure systematic verification of vehicle control features by establishing requirements traceability, developing test-cases, and ensuring test coverage across applicable test methods.
• Develop software verification plans to ensure features are intuitive and robust at vehicle launch.
• Resolve technical issues by applying problem-solving techniques and facilitating cross-functional support from the Engineering and Test Organizations.
• Support vehicle-level system integration activities, regulatory homologation events, pre-production vehicle builds, and vehicle launch builds.
Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related technical Degree.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 8 years of relevant design engineering experience in a related field. In addition, they will have demonstrated the following:
• Model-based software Design/development experience from concept through production launch
• Knowledge of whole-vehicle systems with detailed electrical system/component choice, software algorithm design & integration experience.
• Proven technical knowledge and design experience of existing vehicle technologies as well as awareness of future vehicle technologies, with an ability to inform future vehicle designs.
• Creative approach to solving problems and able to own issue resolution from data collection, data analysis, root cause identification, solution set generation, and selection of optimal solution.
• Ability to work beyond software engineering and apply basic electro-mechanical principles to support component selection and select appropriate signal conditioning strategies.
• Strong interest (direct experience desired) in motor vehicle engineering and design (auto, motorcycle, truck & bus, agriculture, etc.)
• Experience authoring requirements, developing test-cases, and establishing traceability in a process that supports product development in accordance with a functional safety process, ISO26262 preferred.
• Experience with Quality Engineering deliverables, including DFMEAs and Design Validation Plans and Test Reports.
• Experience supporting production release of software features development of features needed to ensure consistent production and diagnostics for service team.
• Success coordinating teams of internal stakeholders and suppliers to meet aggressive quality and performance objectives. Ability to lead and influence cross-functional team members without direct authority.
• Ability to communicate technical subjects in a clear, concise manner to multiple levels of the organization.
• Ability to work with diverse global teams both internally and externally (suppliers).
• Knowledge of vehicle dynamics (specifically motorcycle dynamics)
• Experience in the practical application of control theories
• Experience with vehicle functions such as cruise control, traction control, ADAS, suspension control, etc.
• Experience with on-vehicle test, calibration, and/or feature evaluation
• High-performance motorcycle riding techniques
We offer an inclusive compensation package for all full-time salaried employees including, but not limited to, annual bonus programs, health insurance benefits, a 401k program, onsite fitness centers and employee stores, employee discounts on products and accessories, and more. We welcome everybody to join our family and be united no matter who you are or where you come from. Learn more about Harley-Davidson here.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Direct Reports: No
Travel Required: 10 – 25%
Visa Sponsorship: This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship
Relocation: This position is not eligible for relocation assistance