Job: Process Improvement
Primary Location: Marietta, Pennsylvania
Relocation Offered: Yes
Employment Status: Full-Time
Do you want to work for a company that gives you opportunities to grow in a collaborative environment? How about working for a manufacturer with a rich history and even brighter future? Armstrong World Industries began over 150 years ago as a small cork-cutting shop in Pittsburgh, PA. From that small business, we became the leader in ceiling, wall and suspension system solutions that contribute to better, more inspiring buildings that make a difference in the lives of people where they work, play, learn, heal and live. At Armstrong World Industries you’ll have the opportunity to make the most of your potential. Come build your future with us!
Armstrong World Industries, Inc. (AWI) has a job opportunity for a Value Stream Improvement Champion to be located in Marietta, PA.
As our Value Stream Improvement Champion, you will have the technical expertise to initiate and lead significant process improvement activities, including, but not limited to, changes involving mechanical, electrical, chemical and human elements. Additionally, you will act as a leader in assisting the Value Stream Manager and being a catalyst for significant organizational transformation.
What you’ll be doing:
- Identifying and executing projects in the Value Stream or plant wide including identifying improvement opportunities, understanding current projects, determining needed resources and procuring those resources
- Aligning the kaizen events and hoshin projects with Value Stream / Plant results
- Leading Kaizen events – identify team members, prepare agenda, conduct training, implement improvements, create and track measures, and actions
- Ensuring accountability is maintained for MDI (managing for daily improvement) and Gemba behaviors and processes are effective in achieving desired results
- Building relationships with all production and support staff team members to understand the ongoing operational issues
- Organizing and analyzing data sets that outline the systemic improvement opportunities
- Utilizing technical expertise and leadership skills to identify, initiate and implement significant process improvement activities
- Providing systems based experience and thinking which allow the operation to transform from a task based culture to a system based culture
- Coordinating with value stream leadership on improvements and sustainability efforts
- Serving as back up to Value Stream Manager
What will make you successful:
- High school diploma and equivalent experience, or Associates degree in a related field
- 2+ years of relevant manufacturing experience
- Strong leadership, facilitation and meeting management skills
- Experience solving complex, multi-variable problems and implementing sustainable root-cause countermeasures
- Ability to lead self-directed initiatives, both independently and as a small team leader
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills with all levels of the organization to address conflicts, resolve upset conditions, and facilitate behavioral change
- Effective communication, writing, presentation, and data organization skills.
- Ability to effectively learn and execute basic continuous improvement tools such as: 5S, Value Stream Mapping, Poka-Yoke, Standard Work, Yokoten, Agile Methodology, Six Sigma and Kaizen
- Demonstration of strong project management and facilitation capabilities
- Basic statistical and data analysis skills
- Computer proficiency in, Excel, Word, Power Point, with basic skills in Minitab, Infinity or similar statistical software
- Ability to pull and work with data sets from multiple sources including; Data Historian, Infinity, Access, SAP, and other plant or AWI systems to identify opportunities and accurately assess situations
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years required of manufacturing, maintenance or engineering, and plant experience
- Line management and/or first line supervision experience
- Lean Certification from reputable organization or certifying body
- Significant experience working within a Lean culture
- Green Belt Certification
- Experience working with maintenance and shop floor employees
- Continuous flow manufacturing experience
Why Armstrong World Industries?
Armstrong World Industries, Inc. (AWI) is a leader in the design and manufacture of innovative commercial and residential ceiling, wall and suspension system solutions. At home, at work, in healthcare facilities, classrooms, stores, or restaurants, Armstrong World Industries offers interior solutions that help to enhance comfort, save time, improve building efficiency and overall performance, and create beautiful spaces. We built our business on trust and integrity. It set us apart then, and it sets us apart now, along with our ability to collaborate with and innovate for the people we’re here to serve – our customers, our shareholders, our communities and our employees.
- Standard benefit package offerings: Medical, dental, prescription drugs, life insurance
- Long term disability coverage
- Vacation and sick time
- Product discount programs
- 401k Match
About the Location (Marietta, PA)
Located 15 miles from the corporate headquarters in Lancaster, PA, Marietta has over 300 employees and is one of eleven Armstrong plants in North America. Sitting on the northeast bank of the Susquehanna River, it is ideally situated for easy access to major metropolitan cities such as Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC and New York City. The area offers a vibrant arts and entertainment community with wonderful historic sites, B&Bs, museums, world class shopping, entertainment venues and restaurants.
Equal Opportunity Employer: AWI is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Veterans
Notice to Staffing Agencies, Placement Services, and Professional Recruiters
Armstrong World Industries, Inc. has an internal Staffing Department. Recruiters are hereby specifically directed NOT to contact AWI employees directly in an attempt to present candidates.
AWI will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to AWI, including unsolicited resumes sent to AWI via mail, email or in any form and/or method, including to AWI’s resume database will be considered AWI property.
AWI will not pay a fee to any Recruiter that does not have a signed AWI contract in place specific to the position for which the resume was submitted. Recruiting vendor agreements will only be valid if in writing and signed by AWI’s Corporate Talent Acquisition Manager or his or her designee.